Author Topic: Primitive Quest  (Read 12564 times)

Offline huntertrapper

Primitive Quest
« on: July 29, 2008, 04:26:32 pm »
Soon...i plan to do a "trek" to find my roots...to be alone in the woods...scout new hunting grounds....no modern technology....i am not sure how many days i will be gone, theres no telling, maybe 2, 3 or 4, i do not know, but my gear list will be small, a wool blanket, moccasins or bare feet, leggins and wool breechclout and buckskin breechclout, a buckskin shirt or wool shirt, some natural food and a canteen of water, kinfe and maybe a hatchet, im going to go back in far maybe a couple miles, in northern PA is where ill be going, ive been feeling i need to go away and leave the modern world for a bit, im going to do a bit of meditaing just sitting quietly under or tree or near a creek as the smoke from a small fire imerses me.., i want to blend in with the woods so there no tech. going with me, i never use it anyway but this time there will be no boots or jeans...those of you who have done this let me know how it was...and i dont want people that think this is crazy to think im weird but i feel like i need to do it and be alone for a while in the woods.... i will maybe take my longbow and quiver for meat but maybe ill use the deadfalls and snares or make a spear for a few rabbits.... anyone ever feel this way or done this?
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Cromm

Re: Primitive Quest
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 05:00:36 pm »
Every Bloody Day Mate!!!
Keep safe and sane!!!!
Cromm.
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Papa Matt

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 05:03:23 pm »
I've done it for shorter periods of time, but always wanted to do it longer. I can say I know exactly how you feel, and that if you are feeling the need to do it-don't let anything stop you! This is your soul calling out for replenishment, and if you don't do it, or if you do it incompletely, you will suffer afterwards, depression, an accident, illness, so do it and be careful. If you feel like you should do it for 2 days, be sure to do it for 2 days, if you feel like a week, be sure to do it for a week.

Personally, the things I have done is go walking on my dads land, which is partially wooded, at night in the summer or early fall on a moonlit night, or just take a whole day and go to the woods and do something if it calls to you, or do nothing at all. And I always feel better. But I always go alone, and from the sound of it-you should too.

I neither believe nor doubt it, but do you believe in the possibility of the existence of sasquatch? I have heard many reports lately coming out of Penn.. It's be neet to have an encounter while you're out there.

~~Papa Matt

gene roberts

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 05:37:12 pm »
I have also had these feelings,but not for days. Mine are mostly that I need to get out in the woods for a few hours and just relax. I don't think you're weird....one day I plan on doin that myself...Good luck.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 05:39:27 pm »
Nothing at all wierd about that, actually, nothing could be saner. I've done similar things a few times, it's good for the soul.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

gene roberts

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 06:10:41 pm »
What all foods are you carrying......are you going to carry a flintlock???

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 07:40:47 pm »
no gene ill think ill stick with a quieter longbow  ;D maybe if i had a smaller caliber flintlock id carry it but for this time ill use my selfbow...and when i was a bit younger i wasnt into spending days either but youll get the feeling soon.... and being in the woods makes the soul clean for sure hillbilly, Papa Matt, i have heard things before of the bigfoot, and im not sure if i want to run into the man when im alone.. ;D but there are many reports of cougars in the northern region ill be in, sightings from people we know good too, not just gossip...
Modern Day Tramp

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 08:05:22 pm »
A/ho young brother... as you know I have had the opportunity to live in the wilds with only primitive means for long periods of time ... all you truly need is a strong mind and a good heart for a short stay of a week or so.. this time of year water is your only real concern. mud will keep off the bugs, after about three days you will start to feel at home in the wilds. after that the hard part is coming home.... keep your chin to the wind and be safe... Hawk a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Kegan

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 08:41:54 pm »
Sounds fine to me. Not crazy at all.

The wonder of the wilderness is that, you don't need much. Some water, some food, and a consistent body temperature. Gives you alot of time to clean your spirit, to find your medicine. Honestly, you don't even need to go that far out so long as it is quiet, and you can hear nature.

Meditation is a very important part of life. That's why modern day life has such bad spirits, and such a lack of good Medicine.

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 09:26:44 pm »
well said Kegan!
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 10:19:16 pm »
thanks kegan and hawk...i dont plan to take much but my main concern was water, i know a few wild edibles but water can be hard to obtain having to boil all the time...
Modern Day Tramp

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 10:43:21 pm »
Go for it little brother alot of us have been there ! ate many things in doing it includeing pigeons .lucky I have a wife that understands when the spirits call and the calling becomes to unbearble , I go be survivor on a gravell bar for days by myself. clears the mind and refreshes the soul. As far as that bigfoot creature he will know your spirit and as to why your there and leave you alone Safe journey
                                   Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 10:42:43 pm »
kayakfisher...thanks sir...i too think that way, with if the bigfoot does somehow exist hell understand my wild spirit and know im a predator too and that im there in peace and to be one with his home, but that i will fight if i must...
Modern Day Tramp

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 01:21:47 am »
Like Hawkbow said...the hard part is coming back home. :-\

I spent 10 months in a primitive campsite while I was at a job in Indiana......wouldn't trade the experience for anything.  Good luck!
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 06:36:27 am »
If I only had the time I would love to do the same.  Go for it,  just make sure you keep hydrated.  The body can go for quite a while w/o food but it really needs water.  Good luck have fun.

Traverse City, MI