Author Topic: Primitive Quest  (Read 12563 times)

Minuteman

Re: Primitive Quest
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2008, 09:32:34 am »
Only problem with the boiling is he's gonna need to be boiling a large amount of water at least once a day, like maybe a gallon or more. He wants to go light so carrying a large pot for that purpose would be heavy.Also boiling enough water to keep you hydrated would take up a lot of time. You'd be boiling twice a day. Pain in the Butt. Boiled water tastes bad anyway.Kool aid is good for the iodine taste or you can leave the lid off for a while and it will gradually get better.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2008, 09:44:31 am »
HT, if you run into Sasquatch then you have found the right place to cleanse the soul ;D. Stay safe and be smart.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Cromm

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2008, 06:26:07 pm »
From the things i've read bigfoot is a tall...... So if you come by him....Kick him in the N*TS my man.......It has worked for me for the last 25 years!!! ;D Ohh and run.
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2008, 12:10:12 am »
thanks cromm! good info lol... ;D ;D when i do the trek for a couple days i think the tabs or a small filter is what im dong...everything will be primitive except for this water purifier...
Modern Day Tramp

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2008, 12:23:48 am »
Be safe young brother and walk the wilds with honor and integrity at the forefront... everything you learn while on your own out there will remain with you until the end of your days ... Hawk a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2008, 11:27:48 pm »
thank you hawk...a/ho!
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Keenan

« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2008, 02:43:19 pm »
  Ht go for it and enjoy, as someone stated befor the hard part is coming back after you adjust to the conditions. Safewater bottles work great, I've been everywhere with them including into the heart of China. I used to throw on a pack and head into the wilderness for 7-9 days on a fairly consistant bases.  Great for clearing the head and heart. Just keep in mind that your not the top of the food chain and be safe. ;)

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2008, 03:04:00 pm »
you did it in china? thats awesome, ive thought about some day maybe going there to visit the huge mtns. they have in the south, and thanks...
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Postman

« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2008, 03:34:27 pm »
 HT - if more guys your age did this, we'd have a lot less problems! ,
-Get an edible wild plant book and concentrate on the safer easier to ID species like cattail, greenbrier, mayapple fruits WITHOUT  seeds or other parts of the plant,  ect.- once you collect and use them, they'll be part of your wilderness Kung fu forever.

-I second not trusting chlorine - Giardia got me on a wilderness adventure down by Latrobe - we spent a few days drinking that famous limestone "RR" water without boiling or using tabs for purification  :P  19 year old "Mr. Woodsman"  (me) insisted chlorine was fine. My buddy still brings it up and hassles me  20 yrs later.... ;D

-Maybe take some peanut butter and victor traps for squirrells?  >:D
-If a snake gets ya DON'T tourniquet it!

Good luck, more than a few on this board envy you for being able to do this!
John
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2008, 06:44:15 pm »
i have a good supply of survival books!  :D ;D thats pretty much all i read along with history of indians and trappers...but thanks postman for the info, and actually where ill be theres hardly any squirrels.... :( so i might have to contend with a porcupine or opposum or possibley fish... and the water filter is definitely something im going to get....
Modern Day Tramp