Author Topic: straightening shafts?  (Read 23813 times)

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
Re: straightening shafts?
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2008, 07:39:04 pm »
Thanks Napper.  That is simular to what the Asian's use, but they have compressed charcoal in theirs, sort of like a forge.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2008, 07:57:19 pm »
Now to find a coffee can! I don't drink coffee no more!  :(  The ol'body said no more ya ol'goat!  :D ;D ;)
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2008, 08:18:06 pm »
Hey D Tiller.  You are like me, and I am not telling anyone that my can is a 3 lb prune can either.....lol

Offline DanaM

« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2008, 09:42:19 pm »
Now to find a coffee can! I don't drink coffee no more!  :(  The ol'body said no more ya ol'goat!  :D ;D ;)

Good luck their all plastic nowadays :D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2008, 08:25:03 am »
I went through mine this weekend and ended up with a dozen that shot really well from my bow. I gave another 5 away to a friend I hunt with...that left 2 that wouldn't fly for either of us. One of them was spined way too low, and the other was spined really heavy. I'm going to let Anthony shoot them and see if he can use them...the light spined one might could be cut off some to increase spine and fly okay. ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2008, 02:44:00 pm »
I get it! Anthony gets the rejects.  ::)
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2008, 09:19:27 pm »
I get it! Anthony gets the rejects.

"One man's rejects...could be another man's treasure!"
"Waste not, want not!" ;D

I'm sure there's a few other saying's that apply as well. ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Butch Speer

• St. Clair Mo.
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2008, 11:04:02 am »
I've been using a heatgun for straightening. Haven't used any oil. Just keep the shaft moving. Only broke one node this time. I wasn't paying attenetion & got carried away bending it.

I had a fella at Mojam that is an arrow maker, tell me to drill a small hole in the shaft between the nodes. Lets the moisture in the shaft stabilize & they won''t split later on. Watched the Korean guy on You Tube & noticed that he took a piece of steel & poked a hole in the arrow. Guess I'll give it a try.

Butch
God Bless
Butch
Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2008, 10:22:31 pm »
I noticed the burning a hole thing on the Korean video, too-but I don't think it's necessary myself. I've made lots and lots of cane arrows, and I've yet to have one split, even after many years. I wouldn't want holes for moisture to seep into myself.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Butch Speer

• St. Clair Mo.
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2008, 11:38:41 pm »
Hillbilly.
I thought about that myself. Have only been messing with cane & 'boo for about 3 years so, I don't have that much experience. The way I shoot, an arrow probably isn't going to last long enough for me to worry about splitting :D.

I saw a video on you tube by Paleoaleo on making cane arrow. I sure learned a bunch on straightening cane & 'boo.

Butch
God Bless
Butch
Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2008, 11:58:49 pm »
With the heat that guy in the video was using to straighten/temper his shafts it would probably be better to put in a small hole to relieve any internal pressures. My arrows aren't that precise. I've never had on split either.        Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2008, 12:45:00 am »
I've put bamboo in a fire before and the pressure created between the nodes is enormous! They go off like a gun shot and throw splinters everywhere. Its a safety precaution. With Arrow Bamboo I would definitely do this!!!!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2008, 11:13:20 am »
Yeah, any cane or bamboo will explode if you heat it too much and expand the trapped air, but you shouldn't be heating it anywhere near that much to straighten it. It usually has to have flames coming out of it before it goes kapow. I've seen big piles of bamboo and cane being burned, and it sounds like a war in progress. Butch, I usually don't have to worry about keeping arrows that long, either. :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Scowler

« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2008, 11:22:00 am »
I normally use the compression method for straightening cedar arrow shafts.  I use steam to straighten out my atlatl darts.