Author Topic: Goat products  (Read 5001 times)

Huaco

Goat products
« on: August 01, 2008, 11:33:38 am »
I am looking into buying and slaughtering Boer goats for my "off season" table fare when out of venison.  By purchasing a live goat, I will, of course, have all the tendons and other things... Would goat sinew be worth a darn for primitive archery uses?  I am new to prim. arch. and to goats too!  I would love to be able to use the most out of a goat as I can.  Maybe horn nocks?

Papa Matt

Re: Goat products
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 11:57:21 am »
If you really think about it, a whitetail is nothing more than a glorified woodland goat. Sometimes they even smell the same. I've never used them, but I have read that goat tendons work and I'm sure they would too.

~~Papa Matt

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 12:08:38 pm »
Goat raw hide makes excellent bow backing!   Their sinews ought to work OK but they are probably a bit smaller. The horns, if any, will make good tip overlays.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 12:16:55 pm »
Ive often wondered how a goat would taste? Similar to deer you think? Let us know...maybe I'll be goat shopping.....
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Papa Matt

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 12:23:30 pm »
I have eaten goat, and it is similar to deer but a bit stronger, depending on the sex and age of the goat. A young female would taste way better than an adult musky male. Young goat is not bad, if you like deer. Some people just don't have a taste for deer or goat, either one.

~~Matt

Huaco

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 12:24:08 pm »
Ive often wondered how a goat would taste? Similar to deer you think? Let us know...maybe I'll be goat shopping.....
Goat tastes WONDERFUL.  If your interested in it for the meat, be sure to get at LEAST 75% Boer Goat.  The higher percentage Boer, the milder the meat tastes.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 03:39:56 pm »
I've eaten goat and I don't think it tastes anything like deer.....deer is quite a bit more gamey.  IMO, goat tastes more like turkey than deer.

As far as the leg tendons, the one's I've seen are pretty short...maybe 4-5" long?  I don't know about the backstrap.  Anyway, the tendons should work fine for cordage, at the very least. ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 11:35:50 pm »
UUUUUM.............Barbacoa.........don't taste a thing like Deer.....but the Mexicans can sure make a fine Meal from it.......huh......J.C.??
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline stickbender

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2008, 05:26:03 pm »

I think goat is very much like venison.  Again it is all in how you take care of it before you cook it, and how you cook it.  I absolutely love curried goat, and rice.  I love fried venison, venison roast, stew etc.  As for the tendons, tendon is tendon.  Just a smaller size.  Yep, a deer, and a goat are very much alike.  My cousin once saw a Nanny goat, that ran across a road in front of him, and right after her came a big ol buck in hot pursuit.  I guess he didn't see much difference either.  Goat milk is far superior than cow's milk, in nutrition.  Less diseases also.  Get the goats, and enjoy.  Try the nubians, they are bit larger.

Stick Bender

Papa Matt

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 12:05:32 pm »
Anybody knows a deer is nothing more than a picturesque glorified woodland goat.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 06:41:36 pm »
come to think of it a fawn distress bleat sounds an awful lot like a kid distress bleat too
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 07:00:34 pm »
Hmmm...I dunno...a lot of you guts think goats and deer are similar in many ways.  (?)  I haven't been around goats for a while (or eaten goat for a while)...so maybe my memory doesn't serve me....but I've been around a lot of deer and I've owned a horse.  I think deer are more similar to horses than goats.

Anybody knows a deer is nothing more than a picturesque glorified woodland goat.

;D You guys crack me up. ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr