Author Topic: We all break a bow now and then  (Read 5834 times)

Offline DanaM

We all break a bow now and then
« on: August 02, 2008, 03:53:24 pm »
We all do it, break a bow that is. This was my first osage, I received the stave from cowboy in a trade as you can see it had some character. It will make a nice walking stick. Hey Paul is my warranty expired, I thought I bought an extended warranty on this stave ;) :D
It had 3 cracks on the belly running off the side so I didn't expect that it would make a bow.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: We all break a bow now and then
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 04:30:07 pm »
I see a short, bend in the handle bow in there- plains style. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Denham Archer

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 05:34:13 pm »
Now and then?  I just broke 4 straight!   :(

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 07:01:28 pm »
Have not busted one yet!

Yep! Dana, it busted where the long. grain ran off the side. Bummer!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 07:14:47 pm »
That character was looking good too. Maybe George is onto something there.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Jesse

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 07:18:55 pm »
Too bad Dana that was looking good. At least you have the right attitude about it. Its only wood right? :)
                                                                                                       Jesse
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Dane

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 07:36:29 pm »
A shame, Dana, but my philosphy in life is that we make mistakes to learn, and the most effective leasson are the ones that sting the most. I only wish my wife understood that :)

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 07:52:26 pm »
This one was destined to be a walking stick. As I said it had three bad cracks running off the side. Not much you can do with them, I guess I should have shot em full of super Yooper glue :) Oh welll the wife wants a walking stick so why argue eh ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline RG

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 08:30:29 pm »
Sorry Dana Pappy told me when I first started making bows never fall in love with one it might let you down

Ron

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 10:43:14 pm »
Thats too bad Dana-  I agree with Knothead.  I plan on all of my bows breaking at any moment.  This way maybe I won't feel too bad. :'(
Traverse City, MI

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 04:02:28 am »
I know one day one will go Kapow on me and my heart will break, and the tears will flow.

David
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

radius

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 04:06:24 am »
you've never broken one? 

Hey, D Tiller, i might be on Wideby labour day weekend...my gf has a house to stay in there, and asks if my "bow buddy" and i still talk...

escanabajosh

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 09:25:47 am »
ahhh...that sucks. i'd a crapped my pants that thing flying towards my face!

hey i seen uncle rory yesterday.....i guess there going pic rocks today but i might be going over to aunty amys on monday or tuesday....oh hey also uncle dana, i'm going to talk to the guards on monday! if they take me i'm going for combat enginner ( the unit up here is also a sapper unit!)

Offline DanaM

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2008, 09:34:16 am »
Josh I didn't know he was in yet ??? Maybe they will stop by today. Good for you hope all goes well with the recriuter.

Manistique, MI

ThimoS

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2008, 09:45:59 am »
I'll quote Jawge on this "If you ain't breakin you ain't makin." I used to have that posted on the wall of my workshop, till it got damaged by more than a few broken bows turned into spears. LOL

I haven't broken any in quite a while, but I don't get upset about it when it does and will happen. I've made swords for the kids, atlatls, wooden-spoons, and yes even shorter bows then I had planned.

Tell me that wasn't osage?????

Never had an elm break, even with cut through knots and various other backside mistakes.