Author Topic: Congratulations to Justin Snyder for July's Laminate Bow  (Read 20360 times)

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
Congratulations to Justin Snyder for July's Laminate Bow
« on: August 05, 2008, 05:30:14 pm »
Congratulations to Justin Snyder of St. George, Utah
for July's Laminate Bow of the Month
From Justin:
Boo backed Ipe 50" TTT and 48 1/2 NTN 50# @ 26"
Just over 1" wide from the grip out to 16" from center. The last 9" is a constant taper to the 1/4" tips. It has a 4" rigid handle with another 1 1/2" of fades. The static recurves are 6".
Just the right size for crawling around in the pig thickets of Florida.  It is a little on the petite side isn't it.  As skinny as it is and with all those curves I should have called it Super Model Bow.   I made sure I got it to full draw and square to the camera so you could see it well.
I had a couple of pieces of Ipe about 27" long.  Ipe is a beast to bend and I wanted tight recurves on this one so I had to get creative.  I cut a kerf cut 5 3/4" long into each limb tip. I then steamed it and bent it around my form. I have tried the kerf cut before and wound up with a tiny air pocket at the bottom of the cut so this time I cut and bent a thin piece of yellow heart and put it in the cut at glue up. I had to glue some of the recurve in because Ipe doesn't want to bend and wouldn't hold the tight circle I wanted. The recurve pattern is a 6" circle  so it is plenty tight.   I spliced the pieces with some deflex in them. When I glued it up I wasn't sure if I had enough deflex so I glued in a little more.  I couldn't get the bamboo to match the super tight radius of the recurve so I cut it just short and put on a 6" long yellowheart overlay. It has taken about 1/2" of string follow.
the handle wrap is horse leather sewn with yellow string to match the yellow heart accents.  I actually had string groves comming around and meeting on the belly of the bow and a groove comming down the belly of the recurve. After tillering it most of the way I started taking off the extra weight at the tips and took them out with the intention of redoing them.  The string lines up great and no matter how many times I pulled it they stayed right down the center of the recurve so I shot it.  The string still stays centered so I left it that way. Better to be lucky than good. I tried to bend the boo but it always snapped right before I got what I wanted. I thinned it down to 1/16" thick then boiled it, steamed it and used dry heat but it always came out straight.  It seams that dry only makes it stiffer while wet meathods had little effect. I know you can bend the heck out of the smaller stuff when it is young and green, but I don't think it even bends real well when it is older.

Do you think it ought to get the job done in the swamps?   I can shoot it from my belly.

Pretty Cool, Huh
-"wow! now thats a short bow! at first it looked like hickory and i almost winced. tiller looks great!" -The Burnt Hill Archer
-"Wow!! Thats awesome...I draw 26"..... .....Brian
-"thats cool brother, even though i've only made three bows so far(that have made it past tillering). i think ipe is aweome wood.hard as heck to scrape but well worth it.now dont get me wrong, i like osage also. however ipe is unbelivable wood,like osage." sailordad
"Hey Justin, you surely got a nice bend going on that little guy " -NOMADIC PIRATE

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 05:42:11 pm by OldBow »
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline The Singing Bowyer

Re: Congratulations to Justin Snyder for July's Laminate Bow
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 05:33:22 pm »
Congrats, Justin! Heck of a bender.....  A well deserved win! ;)
Chad K. Slagle
"The Singing Bowyer"
www.TheSingingBowyer.com

Dustybaer

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 06:21:30 pm »
congratulations justin, beautiful bow (perfect for my draw) scary bend and perfect tiller.  oh, and interesting fletching too  ;D  love the way you did the recurves.

Offline david w.

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 06:36:24 pm »
that bow amazes me.  Justin you have skills :)
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 06:37:53 pm »
Thanks Chad
Marius, thanks I think.  ;D I was wondering how I got away with that worn out arrow so long without any comments.  Ill bet that arrow has been shot at least 3000 times. The fletchings have been shot by other arrows and abused so much that there isn't much left. Notice how much taller the top fletch is than the bottom.  The bottom has been worn down to half the height. They still fly good though.  ;D
Thanks David......    Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 07:24:03 pm »
Thanks Justin...finally someone won that I voted for..lol ::).....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline ber643

• Bernie Dunn's Home Page
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 07:33:33 pm »
Congrats again, Justin, will get pic posted on my TBD pages probably by tomorrow. Tough job, done extremly well.
"Hunters Are People Too" (My website Premise)
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 08:06:19 pm »
Congrats Justin on a well deserved win, maybe you can afford a new arrow now ;) :D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline RG

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 09:47:01 pm »
Congrats Justin great looking bow great job

Ron

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 10:18:47 pm »
Congrads Justin! A well deserved win! You really got the most out of that wood !  ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 10:51:02 pm »
Not taking anything away from all the other fine bows last month, but I just knew this one was "the one".  Congrats Justin, you deserve it.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 11:35:58 pm »
As soon as I saw that full draw pic I knew where my vote was going!  Excellent little bow!!!      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 12:45:59 am »
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the kind words and am humbled to win amongst such a great bunch of bowyers.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 03:03:51 am »

congrats justin! that's a great little bow!!!

frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 05:28:47 am »
Great job Justin,very well done. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good