Author Topic: Some bow help please  (Read 3818 times)

Offline oldfrank

Some bow help please
« on: August 05, 2008, 10:03:17 pm »
I have been shooting longbows for a long time but have no experience with self bows.

I won a hatchet bow the other night at a banquet and I am trying to figure out a few things.

Where should my hand be on the handle? Should it be low so there is handle wrap along the arrow or should it be high so the arrow resting on my knuckle is above the wrap?

Also is there a picture that shows how the arrow should rest on my hand?

I will appreciate any help and I am sure I will have more question but this is enough for my first post.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Some bow help please
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 12:33:01 am »
A little more info might help. Measure in from the tips and tell us where the center is. Brace the bow and go out about 8" from the center then measure brace height so we can see if it has positive tiller.
Another meathod (probably the best) you can try is shooting it. Start with the arrow low in the handle and shoot it. Move up 1/8" then shoot again and repeat it until you find a spot where it shoots good and mark it and stay there.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline oldfrank

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 02:13:08 pm »
Thanks, See I told you I didn't know anything ;D

The bow is 60" long. If I measure 30 inches it is about a third of the way down the wrapped handle from the top.
I have been shooting it a little and I realize I cannot move my hand down much. Maybe leaving one inch of handle wrap exposed.

It is 99 here in Georgia and it is hard to stay out there long but I have been shooting some. The arrow hits the target but in flight the nock end kicks up. I am still working on nock position.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 02:37:51 pm »
Cool bow, Oldfrank!  Welcome to PA!!!    Do you know who made this bow?
From the pic it looks like the bow was set up asymmetrical; meaning the top limb is a bit longer than the bottom limb. This would put the arrow pass about 1" or so above center. If the handle wrap is about 4" long than the arrow passes just above the wrap. If that is the case and you want to hunt with this bow you will want to add a piece of leather or mole skin at the arrow pass.
   Be sure your arrows(for this bow) are spined about 10# lighter than the draw weight. Once you find where the arrow pass is on the bow you will want your arrow nocked from about level with the arrow pass to about 3/8" above and sometimes higher...that will depend on your style of shooting.      Pat

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kegan

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 07:03:07 pm »
Your hand will sit ontop of the handle, it really shouldn't need to go up or down. Measure the grip. If it's 4" long, shoot it with arrow off the wood. If more, than your hand should be level with the bottom of the grip. The arrow just sits on your hand, nothing fancy. Canting it will help keep it there if you don't cant already.

Try not to overthink it too much :).

Offline oldfrank

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 03:04:02 pm »
Thanks for all the comments, everything helps.
Yes, I know the guy that made it and if we weren't done having our Traditional 3D shoots until next year, I would get with him for some hands on training.
I know several, actually many guys in the Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia who have made quite a few self bows  and shoot them often.

None of them live close but if we were having monthly shoots I could get a lot of first hand help and advice. We pretty much quit having any 3D until January as everyone is in the woods hunting, It is something I will pursue when we get started again.

I definately will need to makle some arrows for this bow.

Thanks again everyone!

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 11:10:30 am »
Welcome to Primitive Archer.
Looks like youve already gotten enough help already, so I'll just say good luck! ;D
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.