Author Topic: Dye from Black walnuts (question)  (Read 10485 times)

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
Dye from Black walnuts (question)
« on: August 09, 2008, 09:19:53 pm »
I've heard about using the husks from black walnuts to make a dye for buckskins.  They are starting to fall around here and was wondering if anyone knows of some info on the process.
Traverse City, MI

Offline stickbender

Re: Dye from Black walnuts (question)
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 04:34:31 am »

Not really sure, but I believe you just boil the green husks, or after they have split, and fallen off.

Stick Bender

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 10:16:13 am »
I you are going to collect the Nuts to use or eat....the Husk them....Put the husks in a fabric bag or nylon stocking that will act as a strainer. Add just enough water to cover the husks and soak 3 days. Boil the green Husks for an hour or two.... remove them from the heat and let them soak overnight..... The next day.... drain the liquid from the husks into another container and throw the husks away....... strain the liquid to remove any solids..... When you are ready to dye your material...., dampen them in clear water and then immerse them into the warm dye...... Stir the pot frequently.... Let the material  steep until the color is deep enough..... When you are finished pour the dye into a storage container....... The dye is strong enough to eat through plastic containers if stored long term..... so use glass.....Stain can be poured into a spray bottle and sprayed or painted onto a finished project too..... The dye can sometimes get moldy..... Vinegar can be added to the dye to stop mold growth..... Keep the dye in the freezer to eliminate the problem of mold if possible.

If you do not have access to fresh nuts or simply want to avoid the mess and work of extracting the dye from the husks you can purchase dried walnut hull powder from any Reloading Magazine....they use them for polishing Brass.....thats the easiest way for me to do it....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 10:39:34 am »
I use walnut dye for arrow shafts. I collected some walnuts off the ground, let them dry out in my shop then knocked the hulls off the nuts with a hammer. I pounded the hulls to a course powder with a hammer, put them in a qt jar and added hot water. This made a nice, dark stain in a few days. I didn't strain the mix, use pulp and all when wiping it on shafts. After about 3 months mould started growing in my bottle of stain so I dumped off half the liquid and replaced it with denatured alcohol. I added the alcohol 3 years ago and haven't had any mould in my stain since.

Offline ricktrojanowski

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 04:32:34 pm »
Thanks for the info,  I've been seeing so many nuts, I thought I would give it a try.  Now if we could get a good wind storm, maybe a little black walnut bow wood. ;D
Traverse City, MI

Minuteman

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 01:11:25 pm »
Hey Rick, I've done some dyeing with walnuts. I boiled two  5 gal buckets full of the dark, starting to fall apart, kind you pick up off the ground in early October . I was dyeing two wool blankets so I needed a bunch. The wool turned darker but not a real huge difference. Some canvas I did got very dark. I left it in for a coupla hours. Different kindsa stuff will take the dye differently.
   Oh yeah wear old clothes when ya mess with it because you WILL get some on ya! ;)

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 06:48:43 pm »
Wool has too much Lanolin in it ....it is hard to use a Natural Dye on....and get much color to stay
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Dingleberry

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 09:28:58 pm »
I heard you can also you fresh black walnut hulls to treat giardia......don't think I'll test it out though. :-X

Offline Stonedog

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 09:38:45 am »
I just take the green nuts...hull and all......drop them into water.....and wait......

Pour out the water and let them sit for a few hot days in the shade....they will get nasty and brown.

Fill back up the bucket and throw in an old rusty file....and voila!  Walnut dye......

Also....pee (as in urinate) into the mix a few times.  Between the pee and the iron from the file, you will have a mordant that will really help set the dye into whatever you are dyeing.

The longer it sits....the stronger the dye will get.  Stir is every few days to keep it from geting moldy.
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 08:37:45 pm »
                                                            To Much Information!!!!!!

:P
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline ricktrojanowski

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 10:47:05 pm »
Not to sound wimpy.  Any other substitute for pee?   Definitly primitive just sound a bit stanky :o.
Traverse City, MI

Stringman

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 10:10:16 am »
This makes me think of the batch of natural cover scent I made up last year before deer season. The idea was to take smells I had normally occuring in my area and boil them down to use as cover spray before my hunts. I used walnut, hedge balls oak leaves, pine needles and dirt. I was very pleased with the initial results but noticed a distinct fermented smell after several weeks of sitting out in the garage. My question is: "Is that bad and how do I avoid it the next time

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 04:24:59 pm »
I've heard of adding vinegar to black walnut dye (to help reduce mold growth) but not urine.  You could add a little ammonia to the dye...I think that's the "active" ingredient in urine that affects the color of the dye?
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Stonedog

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008, 08:26:24 am »
Yes, it is the amonia that is the mordant.  Too much....and it will eat at what you are dyeing.....

If you are worried about mold growth add a bottle of rubbing alcohol!

As far as stink....no matter what...if you leave you dye around.....it will get a bit stinky!

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying