Author Topic: KITH  (Read 127889 times)

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
KITH
« on: August 09, 2008, 10:58:26 pm »
I was thinking about getting a KITH started here.  For the newcomers to knife making, it stands for Knife In The Hat.  Basically, everyone who is interested in joining throws their name in a hat and I will find some impartial person ( any suggestions) on here to draw the names.  A week or so before the shipping date, the makers will be PM'ed the recipients name so they can make contact and get the shipping address.   
I would also like to include knappers in this also.  Steel or stone does not matter because a knife is a knife.  Do your best work and have fun.  Unless someone has any objections or suggestions, there is no theme to follow or size limits.  Make what you make best.  They can be forged, stock removal, or knapped as long as you made it.  Sheaths are a must.  If you are not good at making sheaths, just do the best you can and you won't hear any complaints.  If you make a bowie and will get mad if you do not recieve a bowie, please do not enter.  This is the easy way to start a collection, make friends, and have fun.  I am sure that whatever you make, the, the recipient will be very happy with it. 
To give everyone time to see the post and respond, I think the cuttoff date should be midnight August 23 and have the knives shipped by September 20.  Any sugestions for different dates are welcome.   

One other thing, when you receive the knife, you have to take some pics and post them.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 08:56:13 pm by madcrow »

Offline deerhunter97370

Re: KITH
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 03:19:06 am »
madcrow this sounds cool Im in. Joel
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley

Offline woodsman1031

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 01:09:06 am »
Madcrow,

Count me in as well.

Tommy
Jesus Saves!

Offline madcrow

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 07:29:14 am »
Glad you both could join in.  It is nice to see that I am not the only one that likes to play with sharp objects.  That reminds me, I need more band aides. :o

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 07:59:28 am »
Count on me, sounds like fun eh :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

radius

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 10:35:01 am »
i could get into that...have a few blanks, just need some motivation!  Sign me up!

Scott

Offline madcrow

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 10:50:32 am »
So far the list is:
Madcrow
deerhunter97370
woodsman1031
DanaM
radius

The responses are coming in quick.  Keep 'em comin.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 06:40:30 pm »
i would love to partake in the festivities

except i dont know how to make knives,yet. thought about trying it just never gave it a stab though.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 08:17:01 pm »
Count me in! Just be carefull not to cut a limb off with the knife I make!!! PLEASE!!!!  :'(
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 09:52:55 pm »
  I'm all for it too, but I think the date needs to be extended longer. If not, I'm out. Going back to Brazil again this week. The one I was in on Tradgang lasted quite a few months and there was over 70 knives before it was over. I got two real nice ones.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline madcrow

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 12:22:54 am »
Like, I said, I am open to suggestions.  I don't want anyone to be tied down or left out due to time restraint.  I know that hunting seaon is right around the corner adnd some will be busier than others, so does anyone have a suggestion for the extended time.  How about Thankgiving.  It could be like an early Christmas present.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 12:32:50 am »
or  how about new years

it could be a celebration of all thats new,like new knives for every one.

that would also give me time to try my hand at it.

madcrow: took your advise and checked out that build along,looks like something a domb old mechanic like myself could handle
               gonna talk to a couple of guys i know that are nailbenders and see if sthey've got some used up saw blades that i can mooch.thanks

peace,
                                                                         tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline DanaM

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 07:22:00 am »
New years is a bit far out there, I'd think sometime in Oct, how about Halloween?. Just so ya all know I will most likely be doing the Christmas Trade again
this year, probably get that going next month :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline madcrow

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2008, 07:59:25 am »
Oct. 31 sounds good to me.  By New Years, I would have probably forgotten about it.  Short term memory loss.  Mullet, I hope that will give you enough time to get back from Brazil.  Sailordad, that should be plenty of time to get the basics down.  If you are having trouble getting steel, I could send you some to get you started.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2008, 06:34:57 pm »
  Halloween sounds good to me, I just started a knife this afternoon. Are we going to do like Tradgang did, like you can put more than one knife in the hat?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?