Author Topic: KITH  (Read 127890 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: KITH
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2008, 09:20:38 pm »
 madcrow, I put it at the top. We need to keep it where everybody can see it.  :D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2008, 09:46:06 pm »
It's nice to have friends in high places.  ;D

radius

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2008, 10:03:14 pm »
madcrow, q for u:

after you heat and quench the blade, freezing the carbon atoms as carbide, is there a time limit on doing the heat temper by baking it in your wife's oven?  Or can it be any old time after the knife has been shaped and put through the quench?

Another q:  To make those cool damascus blades you make, have you tried using twisted cable?  I saw a guy do that (don fogg or somebody) and it looks pretty damn cool.

Scott

Offline madcrow

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2008, 11:19:52 pm »
I don't wait between quenching and tempering.  Most of mine are from sawblades which is L6 metal.  Some of the other metals work better if you wait though.  As far as the damascus goes, I think you have me mixed up with Mechslasher.  I have never posted damascus, but I have seen it made from some types of wire cable, chains from chainsaws and other things.  It takes some serious forging to make damascus.

radius

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2008, 11:46:49 pm »
oh your right, my bad.

i'm not set up to even try a damascus blade by forging, just shaping a blade by stock removal similar to how you do it.  I have some old sawblades kicking around.  I was checking out propane blowtorches in the hardware store today.  The one i looked at goes to 1870 degrees celsius, whatever that is in farenheit...that should be hot enough to make the metal non-magnetic, i think?

I'm glad you started this KITH.  When will we be paired up with the guys we are making knives for?

Radius

Offline DanaM

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2008, 10:05:45 am »
radius I use oxy/acetylene torch to both anneal= soften the steel so it can be drilled/filed and then to reharden the blade. The only problem I see with the propane torch is keeping the whole blade at non-magnetic(red hot) you can't get one part red hot then another, the whole blade needs to be non magnetic at the time of the quench. Of course there are methods for just edge quenching.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

radius

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2008, 01:56:36 pm »
hm...i don't understand why one torch would work and not another, unless the oxy torch simply emitted a way larger flame...i've seen videos of people forging knives...forging, not just shaping from flat stock...on youtube, by heating a railroad spike in an old barbecue filled with red hot coals...maybe i'll try that...

anyone here ever try that?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2008, 06:12:02 pm »
 That is probally not charcoal but coal. It get's hotter. An OxyAcet torch gets way hotter than a Propane torch. You can turn steel into a puddle with an OA torch.
Lakeland, Florida

radius

« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2008, 08:24:34 pm »
well, i have access to a propane torch but not the other, so i'll give it a whirl. 

i'm not after a puddle of steel anyway! ;)

i'm really looking forward to this.  I told some guys at work about the KITH over lunch on thursday, and they all think it's pretty cool...time to get to work...

good luck everybody

Offline madcrow

« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2008, 08:37:31 pm »
When I do the heat treating, I place the blade on the kitchen stove, turn the burner on high, and when it gets as hot as it will, I hit it with the propane torch until it is non magnetic.  Porpane won't do it alone, and neither will the stove, but together they will get it there in just a couple minutes.  One word of caution here, I have the stove with the older spiral burners that are made of metal.  I would not try it on one of the fancy new stoves with the glass top, or whatever it is.  You may be in for a big repair bill if it melts the top of the stove.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2008, 09:17:36 pm »
 Uhh,, I guess you don't do it when the wife is home either? ::)
Lakeland, Florida

Offline madcrow

« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2008, 10:28:34 pm »
If she only knew what went on in the kitchen while she was away >:D.

radius

« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2008, 12:37:55 am »
q for u more experienced guys...

i've got the 2 knives shaped and i've spent some time with them on the stone...how sharp can i expect non-treated steel to get?  should i just get them "pretty sharp" and then do the funky trick with the stove and the oil?  Or should i persevere until they will cut through diamonds and THEN heat treat them?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2008, 06:57:14 am »
Just get them 90% sharp and then harden them, after you quench them check the hardness with a file. If you can barely remove
metal with a file they are hard. Then clean them up and temper in a 400 deg oven until straw yellow color. Do your final sharpening after the
knife is finished it saves on blood loss ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

radius

« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2008, 01:02:10 pm »
thx