Author Topic: 2008 hunting setup  (Read 7650 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
2008 hunting setup
« on: August 10, 2008, 06:57:05 pm »
Here is what I'll be taking to the deer woods this year. I finished 3 more cane arrows yesterday with the hybrid 2 fletch. Two of these have obsidian heads Justin sent me; one is black the other mahogany. On the 3rd arrow is a small obsidian point someone gave me( ???). Both of the arrows with Justin's heads weigh 621gr and the 3rd weighed 551gr(lightest of the set of 6). Attached on my quiver strap is the mini Bowie knife that Dana sent me, the other knife is hand forged by Bobby Keller(I traded him a bow for it).  I put the bows to the scale and the yew weighed in at 47#@26" and the osage recurve weighed in at 48#@26". This is almost 10# below what I have shot in the past but I like the way both of these bows shoot and how well they shoot my new cane arrows. All I need now is an OPPORTUNITY!!! ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kegan

Re: 2008 hunting setup
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 07:56:20 pm »
Wow, looks like you're really set for the season! What's the hybrid two-fletch?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 08:57:11 pm »
Kegan, It is similar to the 2 fletch Marius posted a few months ago. I started playing with the Cherokee 2 fletch and began to morph towards the ones Marius was making but with my own feather burn. I like the Cherokee 2 fletch but they are a bit noisy(not that it matters  ??? ). The hybrids are quiet especially when primaries or a stiffer part of the secondaries are used and with 90deg of helical they fly as well as any arrows I've made.
  I am surprised how well the heavy cane arrows fly from a relatively light bow. With bow weights of about 47# and arrows averaging 610grs I'm getting pretty good speed and accurate shooting.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 10:45:08 pm »
Looks great sir, youve got some big medicine in your set up youll blend in with the woods great...good luck
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 11:42:56 pm »
Thanks HT, I need all the medicine I can get. I've accumulated good medicine from some of the best in these hunting tools ! I can just hope my planets are aligned! ::) Like I said, all I need is the opportunity. ;)      Pat

Offline Little John

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 12:19:55 am »
Beautiful set up, Pat. I love everything about it. and a really cool looking quiver. Hope your planets are aligned perfectly, you deserve it more than anyone.   L.J.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 12:53:43 am »
Thanks Kenneth. I will be along in spirit with you in elk country. Tell Kathie I need some good pics of your hunt!   ;)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 08:49:19 am »
Nice stuff Pat,guess I need to get on the ball,I am getting there but still have a ways to go. :)
I did get my Cain flying and some shoot shafts ready Sat.so I am closer than I was.Another week
or 2 and I should be set. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 09:37:07 am »
Nice looking set up there Pat. Now I think you need to find a new place to hunt where theres deer......lol.
If you ever want to come chase PA whitetails just let me know. ;)
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Dustybaer

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 09:49:08 am »
very nice setup, pat.  i wonder if the superior performance of your cane arrows results from a quicker recovery from the paradox.  there was a theory on the german forum that tubes (such as cane) recover quicker than full material.  can you confirm that?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 10:34:22 am »
Nice set up Pat.  I particularly like those fine looking points you have there.  ;) Now go shoot something. Maybe it would help if you got one of those outfits like Jamie wears.  :o Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 02:13:33 pm »
Good looking huntin' gear there Pat! They ought to be up to the task, best of luck using them! ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 03:43:10 pm »
Thanks guys. I'm looking forward to this season...if I can afford it! ::)
Justin, those points look good on a cane shaft and the arrows fly well with them. I was surprised the two arrows with your points both weigh exactly the same; 621grs.
  Marius, I believe the fact that the cane is tubular makes them strong and gives them a quicker recovery. The quick recovery and the natural taper of the cane makes them less spine sensitive...and I love the hybrid 2 fletch. All in all these arrows fly as well as any I have made.
   Ryan, I'd love to take you up on hunting in your area and especially in the snow but I'll be struggling to pay to hunt my regular haunts. Hopefully one day I'll be able to take you up on it.
Thanks Greg. How are your cane arrows working out for you?     Pat

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008, 10:27:25 pm »
good medicine brother.. happy huntin...look forward to some pics of your harvests... Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2008, 12:04:24 am »
There are Hawk turkey feathers in the bunch. ;) 8) Thanks Mike.    Pat