Author Topic: Over nighter...  (Read 14742 times)

Minuteman

Re: Over nighter...
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2008, 01:00:35 pm »
Hey HT I retract my last post . For me the reason for doing what you did would be to test myself and my ability to stay out in the woods for a given length of time, its obvious that that was not your objective.

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2008, 01:24:46 pm »
minuteman the main reason for my post is OVER NIGHTER...i made a decisiion to walk out, walking a half to 3/4 of a mile in the pitch black at 3:30 in the morning was a good test for i had no fear or wasnt worried about anything, i could have stayed yes, i told myself that, but i did not because i thought mayb my dad would be back because of the storm and me being able to walk in the dark unafraid was a good test for me when i do my few day trek, i might have to move or do something in the dark and doing what i did prepared me, ive spent the night in the rain before and i was under a leanto then, so i know how to go in prepared..............  Badbill my dad says the same, if someday a bear snuffed out his life or he died for some reason in the woods...it would be just right.... thanks hawk, i enjoyed the "dark walk" and thanks hillbilly and i plan to do as you did spends a few days trapping way back in and hunting...thanks fellas...
Modern Day Tramp

Offline predatorcaller

• life is short-enjoy it
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2008, 10:01:36 pm »
I,m proud of my son either way.Just the fact that he likes to do it feels right to me.I myself am not a big time primitive guy but do enjoy spending a night or two in the woods.I actually didn,t tell him what to do--we split up at the head of 2 valleys sat. night and said see ya in the morning.I built a quick lean to with branches,hemlock branches and a PILE of leaves and ferns.It kept me pretty much dry.A real dark night and the lightning lighting the woods up was AWESOME!!!!!!P.S remember he got me back to shooting a recurve and I love it and can,t wait till Archery season.Thanks lloyd Beere

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2008, 10:29:08 pm »
  Loyd, you have to be proud of your boy, I would be. I'm glad to see young men doing that sort of thing than getting fat  sitting inside playing video games.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2008, 10:47:18 pm »
Lloyd, my hat is of to both of you, you for allowing your boy to learn about the wilderness and all it has to offer. and him for following the old ways and learning what it means to be a true woodsmen.. Hawk a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline stickbender

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2008, 02:46:47 am »

Just enjoy the woods, day or night.  The biggest thing to fear is your imagination.  I used to get myself all wound up, when I was a little kid.  I had quite a vivid imagination.  Then I just decided that I would just have to face whatever was out there, if it came to me.  And I was prepared to fight if necessary.  I too carried a gun, and big knife.  When I was in sixth, and seventh grade, I used to camp out with my buddies, and only took a can of pork n beans, and a blanket and some matches, and a frying pan, and a .22 rifle.  Needless to say, we nearly starved, till morning.   We got some frogs, and tried to get some rabbits, but the dog kept running them off.  He didn't get any either.  Anyway, far as I am concerned you did that much, and are preparing to do more.  So more power to you and your Dad.  I wonder just how far away he was, after you parted......I don't know if I could have gone too far, with doubling back, just to be a little nearer, just in case something did go bump in the night......Good luck on your longer quest, and looking forward to hearing about it.  I am glad you have your dog with you.  It is a great bonding thing, and you will have a great buddy.  I used go out with my dog at night just to enjoy the cool night air, when school was out for the summer.  One night, I was walking down a dirt road that ran through some woods, and the moon was full, and it was really light out, well  all of a sudden there was a lot of snorting, rustling in the palmettos, and then the palmettos just exploded, and it sounded like a whole heard of wild hogs were coming out there towards us.   A friend of mine and his family raised hogs, not too far from there, and they were always getting out, so I thought that was what it was, and there were some really big and nasty hogs they raised.  Well the clouds went over the moon, when this happened, and when those palmettos rustled and all that snorting happended and you could hear all the feet hitting the ground, I went up the nearest pine tree, and my dog which was a pretty tough dog, part Walker, and Plot hound, went somewhere too. Heck he might have been above in the tree. Well while up the tree, the moon came out, and those wild and mean nasty huge tusked, vicious hogs, turned out to be about ten or fifteen large armadillos!
they had scared the %%$$#! out of me!  Not to mention the dog also.  It's pretty funny now, but then it was scary, I didn't have anything but the dog to defend myself, and I thought it was those darn hogs.  I don't know what the dog thought, except that I had abandoned him to whatever it was, and he decided he would abandon the premises also.  Smart dog.   After awhile I came down the tree, laughing at myself, and my fearless dog.  He must have heard me from where ever he was, and came back to me.  I sure miss him.
Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.  They make a net hammock, that is light weight, and portable.  Or you could make your own from a ......yep ......a net.  Keep us informed.

Stick Bender

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2008, 12:18:19 am »
nice story sir.... thanks dad  ;D mullet and hawk.........stickbender we aint got hogs but we got some big old black boar bears.....and many suspicions of cougars...........but thanks guys.... i like being a kid that can go into the woods and know a lot of animals, how to huntem and survive my firends think im crazy to go back in by myself and sleep...  ;D
Modern Day Tramp

Offline stickbender

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2008, 04:05:17 am »

Could it be that your friends think you are crazy, because they can't face their own fears?  You are doing something that they cannot do on their own accord.  Enjoy the outdoors, but just take some common sense precautions.  I wouldn't reccomend a .22 for a bear, but it better than a rock, or stick I guess.  But I would carry a big stick with me anyway, it can come in handy, for a lot of things, not just walking.  Just be sure not do anything that would intice a bear, or big cat.  Don't leave food, especially meat, like small game that you have killed for food, hanging around, and either burn, or bury the remains.  Watch where you travel, look for likely spots for an animal ambush.  Cats, and bears both will make an ambush.  Look for signs of either, or both animals.  Scratches on trees, scat, ( Poop )  .  Keep a nice supply of firewood, in your camp, and you won't have to go looking for it at night, when things are on the move.  You can have a very safe, and good time, out there, in and amongst the critters,just use a little precaution, if you suspect that the bigger critters are around.  It is like being anywhere else, just be aware of your surroundings.  You can enjoy the scenery, the privacy, nature, and all, and still be aware of your surroundings, just don't get too fixated on one, or another subject out there, and if something doesn't look right, or feel right, go somewhere else.  Oh, yeah, and as they would say back in them thar old days, "watch your back trail! "  Oh, and as un- primitive as it may be, take your cell phone, and a spare battery with you.  If
Danniel Boone would have had one he would have used it, to tell his kin folk the injuns got him again!  But let your parents, know the general area you will be in, and a check in time for cell phone, just to let them know all is well.  And if you do slip, fall, stumble,
fart, and maybe get hurt, you have a ready link to help.  That is unless you have Nextel.  I switched to Verison.  Take a simple little first aid kit with you.   Anyway, let us know how things go.  It is a great time in your life right now, enjoy it to the utmost, it goes all too fast, and you will have these days to look back on when you are older.  You are fortunate to have the parents you have.

Stick Bender

Stick Bender

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2008, 04:25:31 am »
thanks again stickbender....but as for cell phones  theres no service at all when back in....i have a watch though i use so i know what time to come out.... i carry a .22 revovler, i think it would be ok for scaring the bear away at most.....but thanks again and i usually try to drag as much wood as possible in.... ;D
Modern Day Tramp

jamie

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2008, 11:55:56 pm »
ht do you know how to build a simple debris hut. would of been no need to leave. i slept in pouring rain and an ice storm in them perfectly comfortable. slept in one last night too. keep it up brother. peace

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2008, 12:06:31 am »
 Hunter? is your watch a digital or does it have hands? It could mean the difference in a survival situation.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2008, 12:18:40 am »
yeah....i know how to do the debris hut....im goin in for close to two days or so again soon and im gonna build a more permanent one for hunting and trapping out of.....
mullet....digital.... :-\
Modern Day Tramp

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2008, 12:23:23 am »
  If you have a watch with hands on it , you can use it as a compass, as long as you can see the sun.
Lakeland, Florida

Arthur Herrmann

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2008, 11:13:29 pm »
It must feel so good to spend a couple days at home. Where I live, in PA, I don't have that. I thought you, huntertrapper, lived in PA too. Guess you'll have to let me know where.

I don't know about you, but when I am forced into a mall, or a carnival or an airport, it feels weird. It feels like getting a shower with socks on. Have fun, and know that I am truly jealous.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2008, 04:33:02 pm »
Huntertrapper   You are on that good path. It is one that you take a step at a time and you have taken a big one.Congrat's and I hope you stay the path. Too many have not even seen it, much less step onto it. It's a strong path.   Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington