Author Topic: Two bows same weight????  (Read 4067 times)

whitewoodshunter

Two bows same weight????
« on: September 02, 2008, 09:26:52 pm »
I have two bows I am currently shooting. I  can't decide which to use for hunting season. One is a 70 inch sinew backed hickory with semi_recurved tips,which I have shot for years and killed 3 deer and numerous small game, and the other is a 64 inch bamboo backed hickory covered with snake skin i just finished.The scale says both bows draw 55 lbs at my 25 inch draw. But, the sinew backed bow, which is longer, seems to draw easier and smoother. Is this because it is longer with the semi_ recurved tips and I have shot it so much?  I shoot them both with really low brae height,4-5 inches. The shorter ,bamboo/ hickory, bow would be nice because it is shorter.I just don't understand. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
Re: Two bows same weight????
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 09:36:00 pm »
You should take the one you are more comfertable shooting with !!! It sounds like the longer length did not bother the deer you have taken with it at all.. ;D

whitewoodshunter

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 09:56:14 pm »
That true it didn't, but I'm going to be hunting from a ground blind this year.

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 10:10:50 pm »
Take the shorter bow.  The smoother draw, is possibly due to a lower early weight.  The backed bow may pack more of a punch even at the same peak draw poundage.  Plus it needs to be given a chance, the other bow has made meat and so its already fulfilled its destiny.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 10:10:54 pm »
Do they shoot to the same point of impact? If so, take one on one day, and the other the next. I think I have at least a dozen various bows I hunt with, and it mostly depends on what mood I'm in!

whitewoodshunter

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 12:27:06 pm »
Anyone else shoot witha really low brace height?

Offline TRACY

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 12:39:25 pm »
What's low? I prefer to barely clear my fletch which is 5.5 inches.
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline adb

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 01:05:54 pm »
I find if my brace height is too low, the bow is very noisy, with increased hand shock. Measured from the bow's back, I keep my brace height at around 6".

whitewoodshunter

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 01:30:49 pm »
The handshock on these bows is very mild and so is the noise. I always thought lower the brace the faster the arrow left the bow, you know with the string pushing the arrow further.

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 03:55:46 pm »
       It might go just a tad faster but surely not worth the accuracy and clean arrow flight that you will loose. I use about 4 1/2" flight shooting but 6' for normal shooting. Steve

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 05:01:18 pm »
My brace heights are usually my fistmele; 5 1/2" to 6".
   Low brace height gives you a longer power stroke but will also require that your arrow spine is more critical because the arrow will have a harder time getting around the bow. Like Badger said, the little extra speed ain't worth loosing the accuracy and clean arrow flight. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kegan

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 07:48:30 pm »
The longer bow is much smoother because of the string angle, and "less work it's doing". It'll also help your accuracy. I hate hutnign with shortbows for both reasons. A 70# shortbow is harder to draw and shoot accruately, even at closer range, than a ma's height longbow pulling 80#. The recurves and sinew may slow it down/cause handshock- but if it's already made meat, obviously it doesn't have too much toruble with them.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2008, 10:33:35 am »
The bow I plan to hunt with, Lord willing, is 66 in. ntn. My brace height is about 7.25 from string to back of bow. I always brace at the lowest bh where I get no noise. I tune for no noise. None-at least that I can hear. Sound travels at 1050 fps. None of my bows shoot that fast. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!