Author Topic: Sinew the helicopter honey locust?  (Read 4096 times)

Papa Matt

Sinew the helicopter honey locust?
« on: September 15, 2008, 05:13:43 pm »
Brothers, I am in the beginning stages of making a honey locust helicopter bow. I assume no explanation needed about what I mean, the bow is actually straight tip to tip, just the limbs are twisted like a helicopter's rotor blades. I don't really want to try to heat treat it and take it out, because it's not that the wood has twisted, but that this is how it split, it didn't split straight. So to try to heat it and take it out, would actually be to twist it backwards unnaturally. If this is how the bow wants to be, so be it. But I have a question: Any brothers ever sinewed and snake skinned a helicopter bow? Is it recommendable?

Thanks for any advice!

~~Papa Matt

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Sinew the helicopter honey locust?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 06:03:39 pm »
Hmmmm...I dunno.  Some of the juniper I've cut kinda looked like that after decrowning...but I just tossed them into the fire.  IMO, it's not worth the time it takes to do a good sinew job.  I'd put the sinew on a better stave.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 06:50:59 pm »
what the heck, give it a try and then we will all know.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 07:22:44 pm »
 Personally I wouldn't waste the sinew. But everybody knows if it ain't yeller I'm a little prejudice. And I've heard Honey Locust makes a marginal bow.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bcbull

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 12:52:29 am »
  hey matt readin this and thinkin  about it a bit  i got an idea like everyone says sinew cost money and hard to get  then i thought  why  not put some combed flax  on  it  tim baker  and me talked a bit  about it in another post tim  says   it s like fiberglass but  iv comebed it out real real thin  almost  hair thin  didnt seem that way   whem i did it like that  but it s cheap  and if she blows  who care s ya aint out of no big pocket change haha brock

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 01:08:27 am »
                                Where you getting the Flax Brock?? I am interested in this one....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Papa Matt

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 09:18:09 am »
Thanks for the advice, brothers. I think you're right. Probably otta save that sinew and snake skin for a BL shortbow. Any of ya recommend BL for short (perhaps plains style) bows? The BL I have is short, only about 52", and I know how it likes to chrysal. Any advice on this one?

~~Papa Matt

Offline TRACY

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 02:52:25 pm »
Matt, I would steam that HL stave and clamp it to a reflexed form and don't be shy with the clamps. Save your sinew unless you absolutely just want to use it. Propellar in the limbs is doable, but might as well make it easier to tiller. JMO

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 04:32:51 pm »
Propellor twisted staves make fine bows. The hickory I'h hunting with now is prop twisted. Just look at the tiller from both sides. Here's one I made a few years ago.
http://mysite.verizon.net/georgeandjoni/aerobow.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 04:44:54 pm »
So am I hearing this right....a little propeller won't hurt cast or performance much if properly tillered of course? The reason I ask is the 60" osage I am working on has a little bit of propeller.Maybe a 3 inch section that twisst about 1/4" at the confluence of the inner third and middle third of the limb that was deflexed.The limb comes back to normally the rest of the way to the tips. I have already steamed and heat treated to get rid of deflex on that limb and to align the tips so I really did'nt want to have to mess with the prop twist if I could keep from it. . That is such a critical section  in terms of not getting a flat spot etc... that I was unsure.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Papa Matt

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 05:26:58 pm »
Right on, George. Thanks for the link. Have you ever sinewed a propeller bow like this though? Would you recommend it?

~~Matt

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 11:39:35 pm »
No, Papa Mat, I would not sinew it fearing that the sinew would add reflex and thus more strain to the limbs. I would go with it as is. I suggest checking the tiller from both sides. I also suggest you leave it an inch or 2 longer.  BTW I've never worked with HL but have done some prop bows from BL. Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 11:42:36 pm »
BTW can you estimate how many degrees of prop twist you have in each limb? Jawge
Set Happens!

Papa Matt

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 11:45:41 am »
I'd say I'm looking at roughly 15 degrees. I'd take a pic but I haven't yet advanced that far technologically.

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2008, 11:56:53 am »
page 210 TBB4. its a propeller twist bow made bay gary davis. the chapter is on character bows.
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.