Author Topic: Bird busters.  (Read 12448 times)

Offline TRACY

Re: Bird busters.
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2008, 09:23:25 am »
Those points look time consuming. Did you follow a pattern or design yourself? Also, I made an antenna out of a 10' stick of 1/2" emt conduit with a connector in the middle(cut in half for two 5' pieces). Drilled 3/8 holes in the top half to put 4' dowel rods through for birds to land on. Add a couple of decoys near the center and birds will definitely slow down to investigate. Good luck!

Thanks Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Cromm

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2008, 10:49:10 am »
As always, Very nice work! Best of luck too....
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2008, 12:39:03 pm »
Thanks all! I deyed em red"ish" to stand out in the field, thiers sure to be lots of hail marry shots and I'd hate to loose any :). They are very time consuming Tracy, I'd a lot rather knap out some heads than to build more of these :-X. I found some decoys at Wallyworld so plan on slowing them down with those. I'ts ellegal to hunt birds over bait here but you can decoy ???? go figure. Push em all down my way Mike, I need all the targets I can get ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Dustybaer

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2008, 01:54:32 pm »
awesome arrows, paul.  what's the shaft material?  cane?  best of luck, my friend.

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2008, 02:28:44 pm »
Yeah, a target rich environment always helps, "Why that's the one I was shooting at of course".   ;D

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2008, 02:37:25 pm »
man those arrows are awesome! must have taken you a ton of time. I dont think I would even want to shoot them for fear of loosing em.
Simply beautiful. love em.
wanna make me some? :)
wade
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline The Singing Bowyer

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2008, 04:00:59 pm »
Awesome! They would probably give a squirrel or a rabbit a good knockin', too... ;)
Chad K. Slagle
"The Singing Bowyer"
www.TheSingingBowyer.com

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2008, 12:07:33 am »
great arrows brother... I have hunted and even got lucky enough to kill a few doves on the wing over the years.... takes a lot of shooting to hit one of those fast fliers... can't wait for the pics of your success with those beautiful arrows... Hawk a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

pugpen

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2008, 10:06:21 am »
Hey, Cowboy, if you're going to use that chicken snake backed bow, you better cover them skins with duct tape or somethin' or them doves won't come within a mile of you.
Good luck, David

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2008, 10:49:27 am »
Nice looking arrows Cowboy.Enough shots at anything and it'll go.Good luck !   Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2008, 04:08:15 pm »
sweet those loks awesome...i might have to try them too, im gonna be huntin doves also...good luck sir....
Modern Day Tramp

Offline cowboy

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2008, 05:15:37 pm »
Thanks Mike, hopefully I can do the same. pugpen, I may have to use that bow the way things are going - trying to get another going before the season.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2008, 05:28:52 am »
Those are nice.  I was at a field on opening day a couple years ago and the game warden came around checking the shotguns to make sur they were plugged.  When he go to me I just smiled and held out my flatbow and asked if he wanted to check it.  He gave me a suspicious look and asked what I was going to do with that.  A minute later, one lonely dove came flying in and it sounded like WW3 with all the guns going off.  Then he saw one flu flu go up and pop the bird.  I ran out, go the bird and my arrow and went back with the biggest grin on my face.  He just shook his head and kept going.  He never did check my bow for a plug though.  Oh well.

Offline Cromm

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2008, 09:39:58 am »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D......... ;D ;D ;D ;D :D
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline cowboy

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2008, 10:57:16 am »
Thanks again guys. Sorry Marius, those are cane shafts - some I got in trade with Hillbilly. Just love that stuff. That's hilarious madcrow - he may have shook his head and walked off but I wonder what he was thinking 8)?
 Tracy: this is a design I've seen a couple times sketched in books, I think it's in Hamm's bow's and arrows of the native americans. Two more weeks ;).