Author Topic: Central Texas  (Read 20363 times)

Offline neuse

Re: Central Texas
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2010, 09:34:54 am »
Carrollton, TX.. suburb north of Dallas. would like to locate knappers  & bowyers that may be nearby.

Offline aero86

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2010, 05:06:13 pm »
im in greenville texas.  30 minutes from sulphur springs, 45 minutes from dallas.
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Boots

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2010, 08:53:23 pm »
there is a bow and knapp gathering first weekend in october in Llano about an hour west of Austin..  usually pretty cool!!
SPITTIN AND WIDDLIN !!!!

Offline neuse

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2010, 05:47:52 pm »
how about a bow and knap get together? hwy 380 and hwy 377 Denton County

Offline colejack3

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2010, 11:25:09 pm »
im in houston ;D

Offline neuse

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2010, 09:19:10 am »
I am still intersested in knappers gathering in Denton County if others are also interested. I do not know if it would be large enough to call it a knappin.
Anybody else?

Offline Ol Man

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2010, 01:17:32 pm »
Magnolia - halfway between Tomball and Waller..

Sensei Strange

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2010, 10:11:01 am »
South Austin.  Would love to shoot sometime.

Anyone in the area wanting to teach some bow building skills?  I would love to start building a bow, but haven't quite wrapped my head around the whole process yet.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2010, 11:19:54 am »
If you come up to Dallas I'll be happy to show you the bow building ropes.  Wasn't Cowboy down by Austin?  Anyway, if you don't find somebody close I could perhaps be talked into a long weekend hog hunt this spring at the lease  and we can build bows during the day and hog hunt at night.  It's over south of Abilene.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2010, 12:55:43 pm »
I'm also in the Dallas area.

Neuse, I tried to get something like that together a while back, it seems like there are enough bowyers around, but it didn't turn out reall wonderfully. But it was only a first.
I think having a get-together would be worth it.
      Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2010, 01:16:04 pm »
Sean,

Ricky (aka Neuse) has been over to my place building a bow a few times.  It's quite a trip for him so he can't come as often as he probably would if we were closer together.  His osage bow is about to floor tiller.  Anyway, if y'all do set something up I would certainly try to make it.  Ricky's trying to teach me to knapp, but I'm a slow learner.  So far, I'd rather build bows and haven't had the time for both.  Hope to get after the rock pretty soon.

Funny how I met Ricky, we both answered the same Craig's List add for free osage and arrived at the same time.  I brought a bow to show the landowner and when Ricky saw it we were instant friends.  I love this hobby.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline aero86

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2010, 11:59:00 pm »
If you come up to Dallas I'll be happy to show you the bow building ropes.  Wasn't Cowboy down by Austin?  Anyway, if you don't find somebody close I could perhaps be talked into a long weekend hog hunt this spring at the lease  and we can build bows during the day and hog hunt at night.  It's over south of Abilene.

George

oh my, is that offer for anyone? or just for him in particular?  lol  that sounds like a nice awesome weekend!  i dont need anyone help with bow building, but id like to get into hog hunting with primitive stuff.  i dont know what it would take to bribe or persuade you with!  lol

im not too far from dallas myself.  im up for getting together with some "locals"
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2010, 07:10:48 am »
oh my, is that offer for anyone? or just for him in particular?  lol  that sounds like a nice awesome weekend!  i dont need anyone help with bow building, but id like to get into hog hunting with primitive stuff.  i dont know what it would take to bribe or persuade you with!  lol

It won't take much bribery, I'm almost always up for a hog hunt, and I do have a couple bow stands in place.  The lease is pretty rustic with no running water so it' is real hard to stay scent free (and a hogs nose is better than a whitetails).  The hogs almost always come out at night, I'm still working on a good light setup for better night bow hunting.  The best hog hunting is from about Feb1 (gives them a couple weeks to settle down after deer season) through whenever it starts to get pretty hot (normally in May or June).  I usually hunt the pigs with a rifle because my wife really likes the ribs and I bring home a lot more for her using a gun.  Free range hogs are a lot tougher than they appear on TV.

PM me if you want to go sometime.  I continually  look for new places to hog hunt but it's tough close to Dallas.

George
St Paul, TX