Author Topic: Stone arm bracer  (Read 3618 times)

Offline Cromm

Stone arm bracer
« on: August 15, 2008, 12:09:35 pm »
Hi,
not sure if this is the place to put this?
Has anyone ever tried to make an arm bracer like the one the Amesbury Archer had with him when his body was found at Stonehenge.
As far as i know it was made from sandstone and had a hole in each end...
I would love to make one but may need some kind of help????
Thanks for your time.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/archaeology/excavations_techniques/king_stonehenge_03.shtml
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Stone arm bracer
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 01:17:23 pm »
Hmmm...the picture (on the page you linked) says the bracers are leather....and then the text says there was a bracer of sandstone. ???

I've never made a bracer of sandstone, but I have worked with sandstone (a little) and have made a few arrow tools with it (arrow polishers and nock shapers).  I can tell you that sandstone does not stand up to shock very well and would probably break if used for a bracer unless it was small, thick, or both.  Drilling the holes in the sandstone would be easy but the holes would be a weak point and I question the effectiveness of attaching the bracer to the arm in this way.  It would work better as an "insert" to stiffen a leather bracer, for example.

Anyway, as always, just try it and see how it works. ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 11:14:10 pm »
  Maybe the Bracer was leather with an envelope, like pouch that a thin piece of sandstone was slipped in? It would keep it rigid and would not be as abrasive.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Cromm

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 07:27:47 am »
Hi,
yeah could be. I know that the bits that they have are sandstone,but the writing under the photo's say leather?????
Maybe i will email the dig site to see what they have to say..... Thanks for all the help and info.
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 11:46:40 am »
I would think that sandstone would be detrimental to a bow string. Something like soapstone or other stone with a smooth surface would be more appropriate.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC