Author Topic: Two weeks away from elk and deer  (Read 11482 times)

Offline Keenan

Two weeks away from elk and deer
« on: August 17, 2008, 11:45:05 am »
 Getting close and getting excited. First time in three years that I have'nt been recovering from surgey during the hunt. Last year I was able to call in four bulls right on top of people, didn't get any shots myself but sure had fun watching others.
  Been shooting morning and evening everyday and I think I'm finaly getting close to being back to where I was about four years ago.
 The high country where I like to hunt still has some snow drifts on the norths and with the incredible amount of snow there is water everywhere. The elk seem fairly well dispersed and with the misquetoes at 10-20 times the normal count I'm hoping and praying for an early freeze.
  Set the trail cam in a new spot yesturday to see what's tearing up a nice meadow ;)

Offline Little John

Re: Two weeks away from elk and deer
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 12:25:39 pm »
Keenan, really happy to hear you are back up to speed and ready for a dream hunt. Hope you get a big one as no one deserves it more. Yep two weeks here also, I think I will start getting gear organized today. Again the best of luck to ya and let us know how it goes.  Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

fireman_3311

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 01:12:55 pm »
Good luck to ya, can't wait to see some pics!!!  I leave a week from tomorrow for antelope in Wyoming!!!!

Offline Keenan

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 03:39:50 pm »
  Thanks Ken, Good to here your reday as well. Keep us posted on your outings and how your season goes. Have you been seeing much this year?

Thanks Fireman,  Antelope in Wyoming should be good. Love the antelope meat. But they are hard critters to get a shot on without being seen.  Are you from Wyoming?

Offline Little John

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 04:05:52 pm »
Fireman have fun in Wyoming. I hunted antelope in Wy. once with black powder and had more fun than any other hunt. As soon as I blew one stalk I could spot another group and be off on another stalk. It went like that from early morn till dark. Finally got one on about the third day. . Enjoy.     Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 10:23:22 pm »
Best of luck after the elk and antelope...I'm going to give the whitetail a go I hope! :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Little John

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 07:30:00 am »
Good luck Greg, get a big one.  Kenneth

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 07:47:56 am »
Glad to hear you doing good this year,best of luck to all,Ya it is almost here. :) ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Keenan

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 07:53:11 pm »
 Having some severe lightning storms rolling through right now. Several new fires going. One about two miles from where I just set a trail cam and the other out by where I planned on hunting opening weekend. >:(
 Another where we had the central oregon bowyers rondevous last spring.  (Squaw Flat) About 800 acers so far
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 09:14:30 pm by Keenan »

Offline Little John

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 08:39:49 pm »
Hey that is gettin g a bit close Keenan.   L.J.

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 11:28:44 pm »
I hear you brother, two weeks of waiting..... :( glad to hear you are ready for the high lands, happy hunting hope to see some pics of the hunt ...Hawk a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Little John

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 07:54:12 pm »
Mike, glad you joined in. All the luck to ya, have a great hunt and am anxious to hear the story. What date does your season open and for how long? Well you live in some awsome game country, glad you can live it to the max.

Keenan, are you hunting those big Oyimpic elk that Glen St,Charles hunted way back when? Is your wife hunting with you?  Packing in? public land? wilderness?

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 11:51:09 pm »
My elk tag doesn't open until the fifteenth of sept... but Wolf Watcher has a sept 1st tag so we are going after his first.. I will be hunting black bear at the same time ... should be a good wilderness hunt ... I took a 360  bull there with my bow a few years ago... I have been shooting 500 arrows every night and have the fever real bad... Hawk a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Little John

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 11:59:45 pm »
Hawk, there is nothing like a wilderness hunt, especially in an area known to produce trophy class elk. The primitive gear just makes it about ten times sweeter.  Best of luck Brother       L.J.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2008, 12:13:39 pm »
 Kenneth,
  We have several areas that we will hit. Opening weekend we will be down near Cresent lake in the diamond peak wilderness. After that, a few spots up off the Cascade lakes Hyw. for a few day hunts here and there. 
 Our main scheduled time is the last week deep in the Three Sisters Wilderness. Thats my favorite spot and has produced some nice bulls for me in the past.  They are Rosevelt elk up there. Huge bodies but slightly smaller but heavy racks. The mature bulls will crown out at the top of the rack similar to a red stag.
  Several years ago I got a 7x8 in that same area that has huge bases and very thick main beams but the tines are relatively short compared to the rocky mountain elk.
  But the bodies are the size of a horse. I had hind quarters that were near 150 lbs. off that bull.

Good luck Hawkbow and everyone else.