Author Topic: Two weeks away from elk and deer  (Read 11236 times)

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
Re: Two weeks away from elk and deer
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2008, 01:16:26 pm »
thanks Keenan, good luck to you too brother, look forward to some pics of the hunt Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Little John

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2008, 09:01:41 pm »
Sounds good Keenan, How do you do the wilderness? Pack horses? I would definatly have to have one to pack out 150# quarters. I doubt that our biggest elk would go over 120 pounds. I had a pretty good one a few years back that the hind quarters weighed about 100#  L.J.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Keenan

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2008, 01:39:19 am »
 Hey LJ.   We have two horses but one is a hot blooded TB that should be a barrel racer instead of trail horse  (My Wife's) And my horse is a Perchron/quarter cross that has been a great trail/pack horse over the years but she's getting very old so try not to burden her to much.
 She packed out those big hind quarters many years back and has earned her keep in the past. Now she is there just to keep the hot blooded youngster headed down the right trail.
  Last year we took the new one on his first pack trip. He did fairly well and we only had a few rodeo's. Once he stepped on his own lead rope while getting a drink in one of the lakes. Freaked him out and he rared up so hard that he went over backward. :oI think he was a little emberrased about it, ::) seemed to settle down after that. We had Him hobbled in a meadow by camp and one evening some elk were trotting across the other end of the meadow and he came loping back towards camp as fast as he could blowing and looking like he had seen a gost :D
 Guess it's probably time to pull some hides out of the frezzer and let him get familar to the smell and look. >:D

Offline Little John

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2008, 08:13:27 am »
Oh I tell ya, those horses are always some kind of a wreck. I guess they are kind of like women, hard to live with them and hard with out them as well. Now days I mostly back pack my camp gear and go get the horses If I get an animal.    L.J.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2008, 11:21:13 am »
My old war horse has been there done that also, he and I usually put on about five hundred miles a year in the high lands. This year I plan on using my new mustang from the mccullough peaks herd. He is doing great and is one powerful horse.... We are learning that my mountain lion quiver and bowcase is not out to kill him  ;D and that shooting a bow from his back is a sure fired way to find out just how powerful he is... :o Hawk a/ho.... L J horses are nothing like women, a horse will usually warn you first before kicking you in the head... ;D ;D ;)   
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Keenan

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2008, 11:31:53 am »
 LJ, I take that aproach often as well. Hike in on foot come out for horses if something is down ;)

Hawk,  ;D  I guess I'm fairly lucky I tend to get the same look from either one just befor getting kicked in the head.  :o :o Most the time I know it's coming  ::) ::)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2008, 03:26:26 pm »
I'm glad you are able to get out this year Keenan.  I'm not as ambitious as you guys. I always ride my horse in. Then I don't shoot anything unless I have to so I don't have to walk out.  ;) I thought walking was for guys that don't have horses.  ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Keenan

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2008, 04:16:19 pm »
Justin it probably has nothing to do with ambition ::) your just smarter then we are  ;D And I like your thinking. If my wife shoots something and I don't, dose that mean that I get to ride out while she walks ::)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2008, 04:55:17 pm »
No Keenan but you do have to dress out the elk or deer! ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Keenan

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2008, 10:32:40 pm »
 ;D

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2008, 10:43:20 pm »
If the wife shoots one all the rules go out the window. That is why I like my big mountain horse.  I have thrown deer on and still rode out.  ;D  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah