Author Topic: My first "real" points  (Read 8075 times)

Offline FlintWalker

My first "real" points
« on: August 17, 2008, 01:11:28 pm »
I've been playing around with some glass lately, just pressure flaking plate glass, wine bottles etc. I don't really call that kind of stuff knapping though.  Cowboy sent me some of that tough stuff from Texas and I have succeeded in reducing it down to pea gravel with nothing to show for it. I just haven't been able to knock a slab off of anything big enough to get a point out of it.
  DanaM sent me a couple chunks of obsidian the other day and Presto!  So far I've managed to get three decent points from it, my first actual "from a rock" points. I need to get my hands on some more of that stuff. It won't leave you as frustrated as that Texas flint.
  I won't give up on the tuff stuff though, but I have no problem crawling before walking ;D

The first three pics are obsidian.  The third and fourth are glass baking dishes.  Those Glas-Bake and Anchor Hocking dishes actually seem tougher than obsidian.  I wouldn't hesitate hunting with points made from it at all.

Btw, thanks again Cowboy and Dana! 

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 03:29:17 pm by Saw Filer »
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline DanaM

Re: My first "real" points
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 02:18:20 pm »
Dang Shannon, your a natural :) The 2 chunks obsidian came from Justin so I guess you can thank him.
Think I will send the rest of it to ya as all I do is make small points and bleed ::) Actually I mostly bleed ;)
So far out of the glass you sent me I have one decent point, several broken points and lost a pint of blood :o
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 03:07:50 pm »
Damn showoff!!! :P
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 03:30:15 pm »
Just like I was thinking! Been doing this for years and his points look better than mine.  >:(  ;)
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 04:17:00 pm »
You guys crack me up!
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 06:57:37 pm »

heh well damn......
 Lookin good.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 07:01:38 pm »
Shannon, them boys are right-I don't think I've ever seen anybody come that far that fast-you're makin' 'em like a per-fessional now. Great job.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 07:12:38 pm »
Knappin' is knappin.   ;D  If you're removing flakes from a silica based object, I think it counts.  Throw in the blood, and you're official.  Those are great.  I'm still on a gentle learning curve.  Hopefully I'll get some done while on the road this week. 

Great job.

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 07:32:45 pm »
Shannon....if them are Baking Dishes...then they are Tempered Glass....so it most likely is stronger than the Obsidian....great looking Point too.....wish Ya lived closer!!! I would be camping in yer yard for free instructions!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 07:59:07 pm »
wow those are great....... :)
Modern Day Tramp

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2008, 09:31:53 pm »
Dana, I'll take it! You want a check or a trade? 

Jesse and Steve. Maybe, Just maybe. One day I'll be even remotely close to the caliber of knapper you guys are.

Otoe, If blood seals the deal, then I reckon it counts. Lately I've been a little weak from the loss of it!

And Micheal, I really believe those baking dishes are tougher than obsidian or regular glass.   I hafted one this morning on a cane arrow with full intentions of using it.

I bought 3 of those dishes at a yard sale for $7 I expect to get about a half dozen points from them.  Pretty cheap I think.
   I also went stumpin this evening and found two old 1 gallon brown bleach jugs in the woods.  They have a nice thick bottom on them. I can't wait to try it out.   Thanks for the encouragement,  Saw Filer

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 08:13:16 am »
Great work, you are a quick learner. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2008, 11:52:01 am »
those are all beauties Shannon - and you've been making real points for awhile now. Don't matter if it's glass or rock, if it's knapped it's a real one - and i'd hunt with any of em. Just like the tough stuff more for durability - don't have to knap a new one after every shot ;).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

PeteDavis

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2008, 11:13:49 pm »
Very nice. Where did that gray banded stuff come from? ???

PD

Offline DanaM

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2008, 08:17:49 am »
Pete its from Justin so I assume its from Utah :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI