Author Topic: Moccasins?  (Read 20500 times)

Online mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Moccasins?
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2009, 11:14:42 pm »
 Here are some mocassins I just bought today that some Cree ladies made. They are dance Mocassins.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Online mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2009, 11:16:08 pm »
 And by the way, my whole motel room smells like smoke.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline stickbender

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2009, 01:24:25 pm »

Eddie, those are some nice looking moccasins!  Look well made. 8)
They should go well with your skirt, I mean kilt ;D...... ;D ;D ;D

Wayne

Online mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2009, 08:00:09 pm »
  I need some bead work on my Kilt, too. Also, I just had to go back and pick up another pair for hunting.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Lakeland, Florida

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2009, 11:36:56 pm »
Eddie, those Cree sure make some killer stalking shoes... I really like the hunting pair.. put some liners in them and they would be good winter mocs as well.. Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Scowler

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2009, 12:41:58 pm »
I don't make moccisans but I do wear them when I shoot (weather permitting).  I got mine from Arrow Moccisans.  I far as I know there is no way to waterproof moccisans.  I do apply Montana Pitch Blend  on them periodically to keep the leather is shape.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2009, 01:21:49 pm »

Dang Eddie, those are some nice looking hunting Mocs!  She does good work.  How do they fit?  Did she measure you, or did they just happen to fit.  How did you meet her?  Is there a Cree settlement around the job site, or Motel?  Did you get a nice pair for Cathy also?  Might be a good idea...... ;)  You know, explain why you went back a second time and all...... ;D  But seriously, those Moccasins look sharp, and very well made.  The hunting pair look like Apache Mocs. , and the pair on the right, look like Sioux style.  Or one of those western Tribes.  Anyway, glad you got to get out and do a little more than wade through snow, to find a place to dig.  Get any Moose lips yet? :)

Wayne

Online mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2009, 10:34:37 pm »
  Wayne, the small ones in the first picture, uh, with the pretty flower?, they would be for the wife. Most of the population here is Cree or Inuit. I found a shop that sells NA art. the owners are Cree and they sell the stuff for the artisans. They have some cool birch bark, teeth-biting art, but I'd be broke if I bought everything I wanted.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2009, 11:14:18 pm »
nice mocs. hell id wear the flowered mocs in the woods...if its for hunting whose gonna care? NOT ME  ;D   ;D   ;D
Modern Day Tramp

Offline stickbender

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2009, 11:34:46 pm »
     Ahhh, good for you, I am sure She will like them.  Yeah, I know what you mean about buying all the stuff you want to buy, so you will just have to charge the Canadians more, ;D Well as for waterproofing the mocs how about the " Sealskin" socks, that are water proof?  Put them on and then put the moccasins on.  At least your feet will be dry.  But I don't how the moccasins will feel when they are wet, even with dry socks.  any who, have fun up there, and do more research on their beer, and food. ;)  And try the moose lips before you leave.  I saw Andrew Zimern on the bizare food show in Alaska in a meat processing shop, and they had some moose lips.  I think they made head cheese with it.  I don't know if they have it in Canada, or in the section where you are at, but with the large Cree, and Inuit population there you should be able to get some.  Are you near the coast, or actually just where in the heck are you up there anyway.  If you are near the coast, maybe you can get some seal, or whale.  I was reading about a Teacher who went up there for a year to teach school in an Inuit or Eskimo village, and she said she told one of the ladies there that she would like to try some whale blubber, just to say that she had tried it.  So they brought her a slab of it, and she asked if there was any special way to prepare it, and the lady told her, she just mixes it with "Hamburger Helper". :D  Find any rock, or soap stone up there ?  Any Fossils?  Ivory? Artifacts? June bugs? ;D

Wayne

Online mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2009, 12:21:12 am »
 Wayne, I can't find anything up here but snow and ice. I'm in Flin Flon but driving 120 Klm a day to Sherridon. I'm staying on the border of Saskatchewan and Manitoba.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline stickbender

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2009, 12:28:21 am »

Man, you are in some prime BIG Deer habitat there.  And some BIG bears.  Saskatchewan has some definite trophy animals!
Were the Moccasins expensive?  You need to make a couple of Friends there.  Man, don't they have anything closer to the job site?
Seems like you had to do a bunch of driving up there the last time.  Don't they do this in the Summer?  Are there any pawn, or thrift stores up there?  With your luck you could find an English long bow up there, signed by ol Robin his own self! ;D  Watch out for Moose eh. ;)

Wayne

Offline TRACY

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2009, 11:51:14 am »
You ought to be able to cut some rug in style with those mocs, very nice.
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Diligence

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2009, 04:02:27 pm »
Just have to add.....it's really funny reading what you "southern" folk think about Northern Saskatchewan.....no igloos, whale blubber or Inuits here.  In fact, it's still about another 650 miles North to the Artic Circle.....

Mullet - you probably bumped into the Dene' (pronounced Den-aay) people otherwise known as Chipewyan, rather than the Inuit.  If they told you they were Inuit, they were pulling your leg.

Great leatherwork too - some of that tanned moose hide will last forever.  All the oldtimers that I know just buy those little "rubbers" for your shoes and wear them over the leather to keep the soles dry when the ground is wet....might not be primitive, but it's sure common.  For the "dancing moccasins" the old timers used to sew rough cotton cloth (duck cotton) to them to make leggings and turn them into something more suitable for walking around the bush.

Cheers,
D
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2009, 08:41:19 pm »
                              Dene'....thats dem Chippewa....or da Ojibwe....same Tribe....thats my Ancestors too....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome