Author Topic: Moccasins?  (Read 20501 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Moccasins?
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2009, 08:49:08 pm »
    I was going by what the locals told me. And I was in Manitoba and staying on the border of Saskatchewan. I was working 130KM, northeast of Flin Flon in Sherradon. I know where I was working the people there looked like smaller in stature,squintey eyed orientals and in the town I was staying they were big, tall and cheekbones not so prominent or slanted eyes.  Also the Inuit health care center was there.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2009, 08:52:33 pm »
 Mike, from what I was told, the Chippewa and Ojibwe were a little farther south and east, towards Ontario.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2009, 10:19:47 pm »
Oh I know that ....I was just being a Smart ass to Dilligence...... >:D....about the Chippewa being the same as the Michigan Ojibwe.....I know one thing....don't go to the North Slope of Alaska....and ask an Aleut Indian if He is an Eskimo......makes for a Long 16 Week Job with no company to talk to.... >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Diligence

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2009, 10:34:17 pm »
Too weird Eddie....I'm certain it wouldn't be Inuit as it's so far south. Typically the Cree bands end farther north, say 250 miles north, then it goes into Dene, then into Inuit when you get much farther north or east...like at Churchill Manitoba.   Not sure why they would call it the Inuit Health Center, but maybe it was the Cree or Dene glyph-writing that you saw?

There are some significant physical attribute differences between the local Cree and local Dene people.  The Dene look Inuit, but generally the Cree look much more like Plains Indians.  In fact, historically, the Cree fought with the Dene, and the Dene fought with Inuit.  My Mom happens to be here visiting with me (she's 75) [too funny, she just read over my shoulder and scolded me for calling her 75 when she is only 74 ---too funny!!!] and I was explaining this website, and she just said that years ago the old Cree people (elders) wouldn't want to share a hospital room with the Dene, and vice versa.

Does anyone have any information on historical bows from Northern Saskatchewan?

D

"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2009, 11:05:46 pm »
   That's funny, You are probally right. There was also an Inuit medical center in the Winnepeg Airport. All was in English and Glyph's.  Where I was at it was supposed to be the Western Wood Cree tribe and the southern area of the Caribou Inuit tribal area. I know it was too far north for deer. That's what the locals told me, and I saw 5 Caribou the last day I was there. I also saw Lynx, Snow Ptarmigan, and was told there was numerous wolf in the area.

But , whoever they were, they were nice. And somebody wandered out everyday to check on us, since we were working so far out on the ice. I appreciated the thought.

Something that was cool was a young boy was watching us work when some Geese flew over. He got excited and started calling with his mouth. It was amazing to hear him call natural, hear the Geese respond and circle, and he was about 10 years old. His goose call was better than any recording I have ever heard, and spontaneous.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Diligence

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2009, 11:24:13 pm »
Some of those northern kids are really talented. You should check out the King Trapper Contests....really, really high quality calling.  Just by mouth alone...not to mention all the other trapper skills.

It's been one of those nights LOL...just before reading this, I was showing my son how to call a Moose, Grandma was calling one too...and my wife even tried..good family fun.

D
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2009, 11:29:26 pm »
  Cool. and I was playing with my Alan Sentell Turkey trumpet call that came while I was gone, and was brought up to date this was the last weekend of turkey season ,here.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Diligence

« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2009, 11:48:03 pm »
Those ptarmigan are really good eating...nice white meat, but I swear that they can dodge bullets....the caribou were probably "woodland" caribou and they are really stubborn animals.  If they come to a small bay on a lake, instead of walking around it, they will just swim right straight across.

Here's a random fact for you.  The old timers use to kill moose with an axe (whack on the head) by paddling their canoes up beside the moose while it was swimming and moose float really well, when dead.  However, watch out for the caribou in the water as they can get their front forelegs out of the water and flip your canoe.

Man, all this talk of the north really has me missing home....

..hope you get out for a turkey or two?

D