Author Topic: Heat treating oven question!  (Read 6406 times)

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
Heat treating oven question!
« on: August 18, 2008, 02:34:57 am »
I was thinking of taking an old toaster oven and insulating it with refractory material on the outside. Would this work or would I just melt down the whole oven? ???
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Heat treating oven question!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 09:51:16 am »
David, I wouldn't use inside the house! :o  A toaster over isn't set up for high temps much less for long periods of time. This is just a guess on my part.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 11:20:53 am »
Dunno, give it a shot outside somewhere away from your staves and arrow shafting materials or anything else combustible :). If you burn up the oven - no big loss, never know though it just might work :-\?
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 10:44:33 pm »
In a different posting.  Eddie (Mullet) wrote about using a toaster oven with a broiler to heat treat.  He said it holds 500 degrees with no mods.  I havn't tried it myself but probably will soon.  OUTSIDE of course. ;D
Traverse City, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 11:13:36 pm »
Yeah, Eddie heats rock in a toaster all the time, as does Brian Melton, too I believe. I don't think I'd wrap anything around it though, sounds like a recipe for disaster. I think Eddie puts his out in the middle of his concrete driveway or patio or something.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 12:10:51 am »
hell ya video tape it and send it into country fryed viedos or something lol.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 12:53:34 am »
Yep! Jesse's working on becoming a comedian. He's giving me a run for my money!!!  ;D

I will try it sometime! Paul, how hot do I have to heat that stuff ya sent me a while back?
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline cowboy

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 10:09:58 am »
From what I've gleaned - six to seven hundred degrees and soak time (like all night) is a factor. Course it's all mixed up with some of it being a lot better quality than others and that matters also. The slick stuff you can knap raw, the grainy stuff has to be cooked.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 02:31:35 pm »
Looks like I will have to go with the fire pit method with that stuff then!

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 07:03:49 pm »
I had pretty good success with my smoker/grill method.  I put the spalls in sand in roaster pans.  Started them off in the smoker side for a few hours to get them up to about 250 degrees, them put the pans directly over the coals for several hours with fire, then let it go out and  leave it over night with the lid closed. 

I only had one blow up.  The rest seemed to treat pretty good.

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Stringman

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 08:55:09 pm »
I guess a guy could dig a pit and fill the bottom with hedge coals and then put a layer of sand with rocks mixed in then a lot more coals on top?!? Is this gonna get hot enough for long enough? What will happen if it doesn't? Never done it before, but wanting to try.

d:^)
Scott

Offline cowboy

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 09:00:37 pm »
Scott: Go to the howto's section and drill down to page 5. I posted direction's for heat treating rock (the old fashion way) the way I do it - and it works great btw :).

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 09:04:03 pm »
Think this will get hot enough to heat treat agate?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2008, 09:08:28 pm »
  I tried all that "soak" time stuff with the toaster oven. I never noticed a difference. Now, all I do is put the spalls in the little tray and lay the other tray on top and crank that baby to 450,500 dgs and let it go all night. I unplug it when I go to work in the morning and take the rock out when I get home in the PM. Usually it is still warm. I've been using those little flea market, Salvation Army, $5 Black and Decker ovens for about 12 years. I wouldn't wrap them, I've seen mine gloe red at nite. I don't know why the plastic knobs don't melt.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cowboy

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2008, 09:09:14 pm »
Hmm, dunno D. Agate that I've seen is pretty slick already - may get too hot.