Author Topic: Bow Drill  (Read 3076 times)

Offline huntertrapper

Bow Drill
« on: August 19, 2008, 10:39:39 pm »
I have been working with a bow drill for a while and all i get is good smoke and the black burned off wood that you are supposed to use to put on the tinder....but i cant get the black stuff hot enough or....to coal up, to light tinder i put it on the tinder and blow lightly and it doesnt turn red....any suggestions....
Modern Day Tramp

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
Re: Bow Drill
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 11:03:11 pm »
First off what kind of drill spindle and hearth board are you using?  You want to use dry non resinous types of wood.  A good choice that is pretty easy to find is white cedar hearth and spindle.  If you can't find already dry (dead but not decayed) cut your pieces and put them in the sun all day to dry out.  Go with a spinde about the size of your thumb and a board about 3/8"thick.  If you are getting lots of smoke and duff but no coal.  You have to keep spinning.  Don't stop spinning until you see actual smoke coming from your pile of dust.  Then give it 5 more spins for good measure.  Move the board away from the coal at that point.  Let the coal get some air and congeal and start glowing a nice red.  Once it is a nice fat coal place it in your tinder bundle.  The bundle is also key.  You need some really fine fibrous stuff to get it intitially going.  Use inner bark from cedar.  Bark from wild grape, cattail down, milkweed down, dry rotted punky wood  etc.  Keep trying you will get it.  If you need more help don't hesitate to ask.  Also give the hand drill a try.  It is a little harder at first but once you get it you will think it is much easier.
Traverse City, MI

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 11:13:31 pm »
i think the fire board is a hardwood...not sure what...the spindle is a wood rod i found....but thanks....and i have tried the hand drill, my hands were sore the next day....  ;D
Modern Day Tramp

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 11:20:58 pm »
The hardwood board is probably not making anything easier.  Try to find something you can scratch with your fingernail but not totally gouge into.  That is about the hardness you want.  It's also easier to use a board and spindle of the same hardness that way the wear at similar rates. Another tip is to lube your hand hold.  I like to use oak as a hand hold so it wears slowly.  Use some grass juice, spit, etc. in the hole of the hold to keep friction down to a minimum.
Traverse City, MI

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 03:23:04 pm »
yeah i read that in tom browns books...i was using rendered pork fat..
Modern Day Tramp