Author Topic: Mary Rose Replica Bow Build-Along--An Entrance into the World of War Bows  (Read 204186 times)

Offline DanaM

Re: Mary Rose Replica Bow Build-Along--An Entrance into the World of War Bows
« Reply #195 on: December 18, 2007, 10:37:04 am »
I moved this over here as it was a great build along and should be in this section.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Loki

« Reply #196 on: December 18, 2007, 01:36:33 pm »
WOW just read every post (again!) what a great buildalong and a beautiful,killer bow  >:D.
Durham,England

Offline jpitts

« Reply #197 on: December 23, 2007, 11:34:05 pm »
Whew....I just read the whole thing.....
Wow JD...that is an amazing bow.....I love all of it...the nocks and all....wow...and the arrows look great too. I've wrapped mine with thread before also. I use silk thread and for the fletching I use a template I cut from a plastic milk jug to cut the wedge or triangular shape consistently. I've not tried a 1/2" shaft but I did follow the BLBS rules for the standard arrow.  I'm trying to remember..I think it's close. Felt like I was shooting a telephone pole....LOL's
Thanks for doing this for us....
Would you mind PM'ing me with the yew dealers list?
I've gotta try at least one .....WOW !!!
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

duffontap

« Reply #198 on: December 23, 2007, 11:46:40 pm »
You guys are too kind.  These bows are fun to shoot.  I have a sister set of these bows so I need to get my friend shooting them with me.  My pastor/buddy is one of those innately strong people who can just pick up a 100# bow and pull it to full draw.

I'll send the PM.

J. D. Duff

Offline Loki

« Reply #199 on: December 25, 2007, 09:13:55 pm »
I've not tried a 1/2" shaft but I did follow the BLBS rules for the standard arrow.  I'm trying to remember..I think it's close.

Afraid the BLBS Standard is no were near a Tudor War Arrow,the difference between 3/8's and 1/2" doesnt sound a lot but it is  ;D.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,3251.0.html
Durham,England

Offline jpitts

« Reply #200 on: January 10, 2008, 12:16:01 am »
Loki,
I have a 60#Yew ELB that I love to shoot, but never shot a 1/2" arrow .... I know she loves punching those 3/8" arrows out there...
They let me handle an arrow at the Tower of London  a few years back...I guess the young man heard me explaining to my daughter the parts of the arrow and just said here... and handed it to me. Largest breath I ever drew in. BTW, thanks for the war arrow pics.... 
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

Offline bow-toxo

Jaro,

Different length arrows in the arrow bags: 
I have been guilty of saying this very thing.  I suppose I'm the one you're talking about on the English War Bow page.  The reason why I said this is because the original leather disks that were in the arrow bag still contained the remains of arrows in an assortment of lengths.  If you can point me to definitive, published proof that this is not true, I would cheerfully withdraw my comment.  But your 'shoulder injury' theory doesn't change the fact that the arrow bag disks contained a variety of arrow lengths. 
                J. D. Duff
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am so impressed by your very accurate replica MR warbow not caving in to Victorian ideas of what a longbow should be. Like yourself, I try as nearly as possible to re-create the old time objects rather than trying to re-invent the wheel. I have been perplexed about the arriow lengths.
I realize that there was a wide assortment of arrow lengths on the MR. The only arrows made to a standardized measurement seem to have been Edward IV's 3/4 of the standard and the two cubit clothyard while others were in variable fist lenghths. I have thought that the individual sheaves however had only two lenghths of arrows, the long ones for a draw to the ear, and the shorter ones, which were in the proportion cited by Smythe  for flight arrows. Unfortunately I have had great difficulty getting information from the MR trust. Also there seem to be two different reports on the shapes and thicknesses of the MR arrows. Can you help me clarify these questions ?

Ian B

« Reply #202 on: February 03, 2009, 08:17:27 am »
WOW what a great bow and a lot of great work putting that all together, what a shame and shame on me that i only looked at it today :'(

Ps what ever happend to JD ?

Regards ian