Author Topic: Making bows from oceanspray!  (Read 5158 times)

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
Making bows from oceanspray!
« on: August 21, 2008, 02:32:11 am »
Well, I just cut down a large enough peice to make a bow out of and learned a major lesson. Find out where the pith is! This will determine where and how you cut the wood. Its prety thick but its one heck of a dense wood though it tends to be just chocked full of water. It will take some time to dry out and be ready to use. But I have been told that its best to split it through the pith and then seal the ends but not to remove the bark. This should even out the inner and outer woods speed in drying and reduce its tendency to check. Anyone heard about this?

I have a theory that many of the bows found here in Western WA where actually made of oceanspray (aka: Ironwood) and not vine maple. I also think it would be great for sinew backing to boot! It has a high crown on the back naturaly and, if I read TBIV right, this should make the sinew more efficient on the back. Is this true?

David T.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 05:31:52 pm by D. Tiller »
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Making bows from oceanspray!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 11:54:50 am »
Tiller, I'm curious to see how this wood works for a bow. ;D

As for the efficiency of sinew on a high-crowned back, I think the sinew needs to be thickest on the highest part of the crown in order to get the most from the added weight of the sinew....but I dunno.  If the ratio of tension strength to compression strength is not higher than average, I don't think the sinew will help much.  JMO.

The way I see it, sinew is used to make a good wood better...it doesn't make a poor wood "good".
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 12:00:04 pm by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 02:43:21 pm »
Ocean spray is  dense wood and very elastic, It makes great bows. hard to find a large piece suitable for bows but well worth the time it takes if you find one. Steve

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 03:05:33 pm »
Steve, what type of dimensions should I be aiming for?
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 03:06:00 pm »
                         Never seen one before...it isnt any kin to Hop Hornbeam (Ironwood) though....is it??
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sumpitan

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 10:36:15 am »
No, it isn't. Oceanspray belongs to the Rose family, while hophornbeam is in the Birch posse. Oceanspray is a rarity here but several other related 'sprays and spireas exhibit extremely solid and dense, uniformly white wood that is very hard to break (also a chore to season without checking). Kyle (Pothole Primitive) from the PP forum has made some oceanspray bows and looked into the history of it's use for bows in the Northwest. For many tribes in the Basin area, oceanspray was the preferred selfbow material.

Tuukka

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 11:40:20 am »
 d tiller, i for one would like to see what oceanspray looks like. would it possible for you to post some pictures? i have only one publication that shows it, and that is not a very good one. picture is based on showing amount of flowers.

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

brian melton

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 06:36:35 pm »

Funny how people that are naturalists always pick the nicest looking specimen to take a picture of. most are not that pretty. they grow really slow, and on the west side of the cascades if you know what you are looking at it is everywhere. MOST IS NOT BIG ENOUGH FOR BOWS, BUT IT IS OUT THERE...Here is some pics.....http://www.bentler.us/eastern-washington/plants/shrubs/ocean-spray.aspx

Brian

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 07:08:24 pm »
brian; thank you very much. i like that site alot. lots of pictures.

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 02:00:48 am »
I have to get some more! The stuff here on the island gets prety big. Last one I found was arround 1 1/2" thick. Now to find some more!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 06:59:04 am »
Tiller do a search I'm sure JD posted a oceanspray bow, if my memory serves me ???
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI