Author Topic: Junk Glass, what do you prefer ?  (Read 8806 times)

Offline FlintWalker

Junk Glass, what do you prefer ?
« on: August 22, 2008, 12:40:56 am »
Since good flint is rare as hens teeth around here, I'm left searching the woods for old jars, bottles etc. to knapp.   
  So far I've tried blue mason jar bottoms, an aunt Jamima syrup bottle, old brown bleach jugs, TV screen, a whiskey bottle, baking dishes and window glass.  My favorite is those old bleach jugs. The bottom is about 3/8" thick and nice and flat. I really like the look of that old caramel colored glass. The baking dishes are the toughest, but the brown stuff is prettier.
  For all you knappers, what all have you tried?  What do you prefer and why?  Saw Filer
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Junk Glass, what do you prefer ?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 12:46:03 am »
I've tried several different flavors ;D. The one I seem to prefer in the old (I don't know exactly what they were) but thier white through and through - think it may be oil of olay or something, makes some nice white points. Other glass would be TV picture tubes, have tried window and table top glass but thier just clear and don't show your stuff quite as well :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 12:48:45 am »
Gotta love the Johnstone.  ;D   That's about the only junk I've tried.  I've made lots of junk though.   ???

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 12:50:33 am »
I tried some Johnstone. I would have been better off sitting on one ::)
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 03:54:01 am »
I tried some Johnstone. I would have been better off sitting on one ::)

:D ;D  now thats funny

tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 11:38:16 am »
  I like the brown bleach bottles but they are getting hard to find. Brian Melton buys those clear blue and red dishes from Wallyworld. They make some pretty points and are cheap.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 12:57:29 pm »
Find a nice glass blower and he or she can provide you with the stuff. I have a source and I gots some purdy purple, reds, oranges and some other stuff! Knaps GOOD!  ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline carpenter374

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 07:44:23 pm »
i like beer bottle bottoms. scrap porcelain tile knaps good too.                -carpenter
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety will find that they will inherit neither." -Ben Franklin     

--Carpenter

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 08:55:49 pm »
Eddie, I love those old bleach jugs too. I had two of them, but ruined one. This is the point I got from the other one.
  It seems to me that nobody makes much of that caramel colored glass anymore ???
 I live in dairy farm country and dairy's use lots of bleach.  I bet some of the older dairy's farms around here have some junk piles out on the back fourty filled with those old jugs.  I think I'll go see a few of my farmer friends ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 08:58:13 pm »
That's beautiful Shannon! The color of that glass really shows off your flaking well :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

jamie

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008, 08:59:47 pm »
lysol concentrate and jaegermeister lots of flat spots. all the old farms here also have bottle dumps going back 100s of years and have huge flat bottoms

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 03:37:19 am »
I prefer glass over any other knappable material I've tried.  I've tried the wallyworld dishes and I agree, they work great.  The only thing I don't like about glass is the danger to my kids when they insist on walking around in bare feet. >:(

Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2008, 06:48:23 pm »
Jack, they will learn very quickly not to run arround Dad's knapping area in bare feat. Cut once twice shy!!!  ;)
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 02:21:42 pm »
Shannon, that's an awesome point, you're starting to make the rest of us look bad.  :o  :)

Junk glass is fun to play with. The first point I ever made was from a beer bottle bottom. Here's a few junk glass points:

From a piece of glass found in an old dump in the woods:

Good ol' toiletite:

A couple from lumps of slag glass:

And my favorite junk glass point-a piece of that "principal's-office-door-with-chicken-wire-inside glass": (I know that I'm not the only one here familiar with principal's offices  ;D )

Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2008, 02:21:59 pm »
 ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr