Author Topic: Who's got the best shooting glove?  (Read 11265 times)

Arthur Herrmann

Who's got the best shooting glove?
« on: August 22, 2008, 11:32:33 am »
My home-made shootin glove is made from purse leather, which is as durable as a plastic bag. It is now ripping along the finger tips, and will be out of commission by tommorrow.

I want to buy my next glove. Which one is the best? Most Comfortable? Cheap?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Who's got the best shooting glove?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 11:35:27 am »
Mother Nature does.......dont wear one....unless the Bow is over 80 pounds....but then I try to stay away from them!!!! My Brother swears by His Super Glove that He bought at Cabella's
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 11:40:51 am »
I like the Damascus glove. Relatively cheap from 3Rivers(sponcer). Also the super glove is nice with the cordovan finger stalls but cost more and the glove part didn't last any longer for me than the Damascus.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Arthur Herrmann

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 11:46:22 am »
I tried not usin the glove on 50# bows. My middle finger swelled up twice!  :-[It looked like a gusher! I used my pen knife to pop it. Blood went everwhere.
My finger was bruised and I couldn't shoot for days until it healed.

I learned my lesson. Better to shoot with a glove, than not shoot for days, which was torture.

Are damascus gloves the ones that the fabric goes on the palm of the hand? I like the looks of them. My main concern, Is that the tips of the fingers stay on good and I don't have to readjust them after every shot, like my old glove.

Pat B- Should I go with the "Damascus" Glove, or is the three rivers dura-glove better? For $6 difference, I can't make up my mind.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 12:00:50 pm by Arthur Herrmann »

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 12:07:58 pm »
this is a Damascus Glove

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 12:31:01 pm »
I have a Damascus glove, and I like it better than any I have used so far. It stays put really well. I shoot without one sometimes, too, but if you're doing a lot of shooting with a heavier bow, it can get really rough on the fingers.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Papa Matt

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 12:35:53 pm »
Arthur,

Ya gotta let your archer's calice build up first brother. Try to shoot too much at one time will cause blisters, and can even cause bone damage in your fingers. If you're shotting 3 fingers like most of us, ya gotta let that calice build up on the bottomside of your ring finger on the shooting hand. Mine gets so big and tough it looks like a wart. But it don't hurt no more unless you shoot so much that it starts to pull off. And it will gradually go away if you stop shooting or slow down.

Well, I guess I'm probably not helping my case any, am I. Oh heck, go buy your glove and just be done with it.

~~Papa Matt

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 01:08:57 pm »
Arthur, I have used the Damascus mostly. I have thought about trying one of the gloves with the nylon webbing for the stalls but haven't yet. Is that what is on the 3Rivers Dura-Glove?  You probably get a good slick release with the nylon stalls. I guess it would depend on how tight your money is! ;D
   When I first get a leather glove, I wash it with warm soapy water, rinse it well(helps remove excess dye),put it on to my hand to conform it, remove it and let it dry. After dry I give it a good workout with Montana Pitch Blend or Mink Oil.  I have also had to turn the fingers inside out and trim the seam because it irritated my finger.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 01:22:28 pm »
Pat I have a 3 rivers dura glove and I like it, never used a Damascus glove so I don't know how they compare.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Arthur Herrmann

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 04:39:01 pm »
Pat B- My 3Rivs Mag is really new. The "Dura Glove" is leather, and has "Cordura" on the finger tips. I am guessing that it is not nylon. But I don't know.

However, there is a Tred Barta nylon shooting glove, and I could buy it and try it. Tred Barta sounds like a cool guy who knows what he's doing. Maybe if somebody here has used it, than they could let us know how good it is.

A couple bucks here and there won't break my budget. But I can't justify buyin a $60 Buffalo hide glove compared to a $15 glove that will do the same job.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 04:58:19 pm »
Pat, don't buy the one with the nylon.  I had one that I loved. I think it was the el-cheap-o from 3 Rivers at the bottom of the page.  It was similar to the Damascus.  I lost it at Pappy's so I bought one with the nylon thinking I would get a cleaner release.  I hate that glove.  I need to get a Damascus or another el-cheap-o.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Cromm

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 07:00:58 pm »
Hi,
I've got one or two by mail. But i have found that it is better to go to the shop and try it on. I've found that not all Med are the same size. I use a Deer skin one and that has worked for me for the last 2 years....
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Arthur Herrmann

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 07:58:55 pm »
I live so far away from 3 River archery warehouse... but, it says that if the size doesn't fit, you can send it back for a new one, within 30 days.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008, 09:06:26 pm »
3Rivers is good about customer satisfaction. Can't go wrong with them. 

Arthur Herrmann

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2008, 10:00:22 pm »
So it is... I shall be ordering the "Damascus Glove" From 3 Rivers Archery. To find out your size, your supposed to measure below the nuckles, not including the thumb. Mine is just under 9". It says 9" is medium. My hand is kind of chubby, so should i go with medium? Would it hurt anything if I went with a large?