Author Topic: fall turkey hunt  (Read 3937 times)

Offline sailordad

fall turkey hunt
« on: August 23, 2008, 12:44:47 am »
    well i dont know about other states,but here in mn we have two turkey hunting seasons,spring and fall.
fall has always been reserved just for the southern part of the state,where the buzzards were originally restored  in the early 70's. the population of
wild turkeys in the southern part of our state has continualy grown or over grown as the farmers say.

i wont travel that far in the fall to chase buzzards on land i cant spend time scouting on,so i have never hunted them in the traditional  time of the year(thats right fall is the traditional time for turkey hunting).

well as luck would have it,after the last five years of excellent springs and mild winters,the turkey population has exploded over most of out state.
those with the power(aka the dnr) saw it fit to open up more of our state for fall hunting. the zone i hunt spring turkey in was one of the lucky zones to get added for fall.
so the wife and i put in as a group for the fall hunt and wouldnt you know it WE GOT OUR TAGS,now we have prefernce level 1 for fall hunt,awesome.

i dont plan on asking the usuall land owner for permision for fall,he hunts deer and thats start two weeks after fall turkey is over,dont want to mess that up for him.
so i will seek opportunities else where for the up and coming fall turkey season,we get to hunt from 10-22  thru 10-26,deer starts mid nov(thats gun,bow starts 9-13)

i know where ther are plenty of buzzards on public land so alls good.

just had to tell someone of our luck,couldnt contain myself any longer

I LOVE CHASING BUZZARDS, the scouting,the stalking,the setting up,the calling,the trying to outsmart them,the getting  them into range,the dropping of a bead on them,the feel of he trigger being slowly squeezed back,the feel of the gunstock being hammerd into my shoulder,the sound of that 835 ultimag going off,the smeel of gunpowder in the air,the tagging of the bird,the cleaning,the grilling and oh yea  the TASTE of wild turkey

DANG I LOVE THEM BUZZARDS

but truthfully,i really dont care if i even get to pull the trigger. as long as i get to spend time in the woods with someone special to me and just being at one with nature
i just hope the wife gets to tag her first bird this fall.
to qoute a beer commercial  "IT JUST DOESNT GET ANY BETTER THAN THAT" 8) ;D

wish us luck,peace
                                                                                tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline huntertrapper

Re: fall turkey hunt
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 03:40:08 am »
yes sir...we have a season here too...if i am in the state (might be in alaska)  ;D ill be goin after them with my flintlock...good luck to you...
Modern Day Tramp

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 03:52:12 am »
flintlock

now thats a challenge when it comes to buzards

have fun up in the yukon  h.t.,but please leave a few of the grizz. i plan on going up there to hunt some day too ;D

peace,
                                                                         tim

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 04:31:23 am »
well....i aint huntin grizz.... too much money just to kill a bear...were huntin blacktail deer, crabbin, fishin, and other stuff....were goin with one of my dads buddies who lives up there....
Modern Day Tramp

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 01:52:07 pm »
thats sounds like its going to be one heck of a good time. enjoy

when you say crabbing,you dont mean like deadliest catch do ya?

tim

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 12:19:42 am »
naw..crabbin off a bay...no dangerous act there....  :D
Modern Day Tramp