Author Topic: Birch Bark Canoe  (Read 7487 times)

Offline DanaM

Birch Bark Canoe
« on: August 22, 2008, 12:19:26 pm »
Took these pictures at the fair last week. It was the only sane and normal feeling place at the fair so I hung out
and shot the bull with these two guys. One of them makes baskets and such from ash strips and the other guy makes birch bark conoes.
He uses birch bark, spruce root, pine pitch and northern white cedar thats it entirely natural materials, he does use a steel knife :)
All I had was my phone so the pics may not be the best.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Birch Bark Canoe
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 01:10:49 pm »
Pictures look good Dana......brings back a lot of Memories for Me....We had a Birch Bark Canoe when I was a Boy....We used to paddle around on the Dead River Basin and Carp River with it.....and when I was a Tot..we used to play with small ones at the Beach that My Grandfather used to build for Us
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline cracker

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 01:11:50 pm »
Very cool Dana can't blame a guy for hanging out there. Thanks for sharing.R.C.
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 01:16:03 pm »
Thats where I'd be hanging! 8) Cool canoe!...and baskets.     
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 05:31:12 pm »
Cool canoe! I've been thinking I might need to build one, but kinda had cedar strips in the back of my mind.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 06:46:48 pm »
  That's cool , Dana. Is he the same guy that did the article for PA a few years ago?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Cromm

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 08:17:31 pm »
Had a friend who made one with his Grandad and Dad... Thanks for reminding me of a good guy!!
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 09:03:13 pm »
Very nice.  You must have had a good time.

My cousin built a Voyager canoe out of Birch bark a few years ago.  I think it was about 26' long and weighed 400#
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 06:44:37 am »
I don't know eddie ??? I got his name and promptly forgot it ::)

He is from Marc's neck of the woods up in Ontario,
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Little John

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 11:06:37 am »
Cool technology, I would give any thing to have a chance to learn and build one, thanks for the pics.   Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 07:31:52 am »
That canoe is sweet.  Too many things to try to little time.  Where was the fair?
Traverse City, MI

jamie

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 07:43:27 am »
been wanting to build one from elm for years . even have the elm picked out. anybody interested should pick up the book voyage of the ant. written by a friend of mine who has done extensive research into the subject. he has built many. one of his best trips was in upstate new york where they hiked in to hunt . took game and built a fir bark canoe with stone tools and rowed out with the game . awesome looking canoe dana . peace

Offline DanaM

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2008, 09:43:22 am »
Rick it was at the UP State Fair in Escanaba,
jamie I will have to finf that book, would like to try building one when I retire and have the time :)

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2008, 09:52:55 am »
Rick it was at the UP State Fair in Escanaba,
jamie I will have to finf that book, would like to try building one when I retire and have the time :)
Retire......you going to have the Time and Money to do that??? Man......you are sure Lucky.....I'll be working till I die......with the way things have been going here lately........... ;)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2008, 10:13:18 am »
Mike I will retire, I may have to go be a squatter in the woods living in a shack but come hell or high water I refuse to die working :)

Manistique, MI