Author Topic: Want to make an arrow head??  (Read 6444 times)

expect212

Want to make an arrow head??
« on: August 24, 2008, 12:44:38 am »
I've been shooting for 5 years now and just recently decided to make my own arrows and have been looking through this site and i have to say you guys know how to make bows and arrows and make them look great... But i was just wondering if anyone can help me out with making arrowheads what is the best kind of home made arrowhead to make for target and hunting? (I just got  45lb recurve bow and want to make traditional arrows to go with it)

I tried forging them but they did not come out so good (don't have the tools :/ )is there any easy effective way of making a point that looks and works great..
Any Help would be greatly Appreciated.
-Nick

Online mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Want to make an arrow head??
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 12:54:06 am »
 Nick, One of the easiest and simple way is to cut them out with a chisel. I learned this from the Foxfire books. My god friend , Tom Carelton wrote the article when he was in High school. Just get a saw blade, draw out what size and shape point you want . Then take a chisel, hammer and good solid backstop. Follow the line , cut it with the chisel and then clean it up with a file. That way you don't get it hot and have to worry about retempering.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 12:58:14 am »
Nick, If you can find some metal banding material, the kind used to band bundles of lumber, etc you can cut it to shape with tin snips. Also, old saw blades make great trade points. Cut then out with a cold chisel and anvil then shape it and sharpen it with a file.  For practice points .38 pistol cartridge casings make good ones.      Pat.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 02:56:46 am »
The easiest arrowhead I've ever made was made from a plain old butterknife.  I just ground it to shape on a bench grinder....in the form of a trade point.  After shaping the tang I scored the steel and broke the arrowhead off, sharpened it on the grinder, and finished with a file and wetstone.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 05:31:22 pm »
Here's one I made from a bandsaw blade.

John
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 12:41:19 am »
I don't know what resources you have available, but I've made a few out of really BIG timber nails that I bought at Home Depot, (they're about 6 inches long and 3/8" in diameter).  Get the bright steel ones and not the galvanized ones.  Heat them in a fire (charcoal will work) them beat them flat with a hammer and a piece of steel, (anvil, railroad iron, etc). 

If you have access to a dremmel get you a metal cut off wheel and then find Venison Burger's post on the Trading Post part of the forum.  He usually has some large band saw blades for the price of postage (about $7 if I remember).  That's the kind of saw blade that Okie1 used for his point pictured above.  Once you get them cut out, sharpen with a file and whet stone.

If you're really adventurous, find your self some flint, glass or porcelain and knap some.  Lots of YouTube videos and books on the net that will teach that.  Plus a special section here on the forum for those of us that break rocks.  Ask and you will receive. 

Good luck and have fun. 

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

wanabehunter

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 07:26:25 pm »
Here's one I made from a bandsaw blade.

John

now thats a nice point!

Ive heard alot of good things about bandsaw blades.