Author Topic: dover  (Read 4657 times)

jamie

dover
« on: August 24, 2008, 07:18:47 am »
what needs to be done to dover before knapping. recieved a couple big chunks from a bud and knocked off a couple dozen big spalls but havent gotten to any flaking yet. heat treat or no. water or no. let me know peace

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: dover
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 12:20:45 pm »
Never worked any Jamie - wish I knew :-\.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

jamie

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 02:58:40 pm »
im gonna try heating it next week. its very chalky and even the best platforms tend to crumble.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 04:10:40 pm »
  Jamie, I think if you cook it at the Temp's I was talking about it should be okay.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 04:37:11 pm »
Jamie, I haven't worked a lot of Dover, but the better grades knap good raw. Some of the chalky stuff would probably improve with a little heat.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

jamie

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 11:54:04 am »
gonna do it pit style and cook up a bunch of stuff ive had layin around

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 12:33:00 pm »
I live here in T.N and dover and buffalo river are both FT pain chert and from what i have herd you can not heat treat FT pain cherts and i have tryed to heat treat the buffalo river i found with little or no change in the rock.
 I have not tryed to heat dover but the best of luck to you.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 02:03:53 pm »
Jesse, I've used a lot of heated Ft.Payne, and it's good stuff. I think the deal is that the light-colored Ft. Payne will heat-treat good, but the dark-colored stuff doesn't. I've got a couple spalls of Dover from Pappy's farm that we heated in a fire pit at Pat's last month, haven't tried chipping it yet, but I'm anxious to see how it turned out. It's the greenish stuff with the bullseye pattern.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 12:58:38 am »
Dover varies a lot in texture, the chalky stuff was usually used for hoes and shovels.  The black stuff is the best and was preferred for points and blades.  It has natural oil in it and usually cannot be heat treated.  Buffalo River can be worked raw, but usually works better after heat treating.  The black Buffalo also has oil in it and usually cannot be heat treated either.

jamie

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 03:28:40 pm »
i got a few points from it. i found i have to use a lot of percussion and get it as thin as possible before pressure flaking. also need a baseball bat and hit it like a red headed step child. ill post some pics this weekend