Author Topic: pine pitch finish for bows and arrows?  (Read 5233 times)

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
pine pitch finish for bows and arrows?
« on: August 24, 2008, 12:57:32 pm »
I was making pine pitch glue yesterday for hafting my obsidian points to my cane arrows for hunting season yesterday and I got to wondering......Anyone here made pine pitch finish for a bow or arrows? Could you explain the exact process and how you like the finish when its done????? One of the sticks I used for stiring the pot of pitch looked like it was dipped in polyurathane and was smooth as glass, seems like it might make a pretty nice natural bow finish.  ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: pine pitch finish for bows and arrows?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 03:07:00 pm »
Ryan, I use pitch varnish on all of my hardwood shoot arrows(not on my cane arrows) and to seal any sinew wrapping. I haven't tried it on bows, yet.
  Start with dry, brittle pitch globs. The varnish will dry hard and smooth as glass. If the pitch is oozy it will be tacky when the alcohol evaporates. I dissolve the pitch in alcohol(I used denatured), strain out the impurities(I use an old T shirt) and store it in an air tight jar.  I use a small paint brush(water color) to apply the varnish. When done it will get hard but a minute in the varnish it will loosen up again.
   I don't necessarily like the shiny finish so I either rub in fine chalk or charcoal dust to cut the shine or roll the shaft(or whatever) in my hand to let the hand prints dull the finish.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 03:32:14 pm »
Thanks Pat, I'm going to try it.  ;)
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 04:04:59 pm »
  Ryan, you can also soak it in Turpentine.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline anglobow

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 07:45:52 pm »
The probelm with pine resin is that it's brittle, and has a low melting point. I make my own varnish by melting together pine resin and linseed oil. I let it soak into the wood, then once it's dry I melt in a beeswax/pine resin mixture. It makes for a good finish. Avoid applying pine finishes to the grip area if you don't use a wrap. The heat from your hand will soften the pitch and your hand will stick to it  >:(
I've been meaning to experiment with natural resins that have higher softening temperatures than pine.

Neil

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 09:42:26 pm »
you can also make what is referred to as mummy varnish ,dries to a nice natural colour and sheen.take your pine sap disolve in turpintine 3 to 1part sap put in a jar let stand in direct sun light for at least two months,do not shake jar!! after it liquefies add 4 tlbs spoons of raw linseed oil.great water proofer and final finish for arrows ,bows,over sinew and hideglue wrappings,and for glue  for flecthing,over sinew and hide glue aplly thin coat set afire for 2 second blow out flame,this process will harden the varnish to a protective shell.....................robustus