Main Discussion Area > HowTo's and Build-a-longs

Stone Age Witch Hazel (updated 1/18)

(1/20) > >>

ricktrojanowski:
After seeing Jamie's "stoned elm" bow I decided I really wanted to give a stone age bow a go.  He was kind enough to help me get started on one this past Sat.   We chose Which Hazel (Hamamelis virginiana).  We chose this because we found some really nice small trees that appeared free of twist and knots.  Also to give another type a wood a try.  You will have to bear with me on this build along.  It is my first and I'm really really low on free time. I'll post as I go but a finished bow is going to be a ways down the road. 

I used the following tools so far. 
1 A large piece of heat treated flint with a crudly knapped edge(my knapping skill level) Used for the initial cutting and heavy work
2 2 smaller hand axes one of noviculite and the other of flint much nicer and thinner (Jamies handy work) for more fine chopping
3 Antler tines and big rock for splitting the stave in two pieces
4 Obsidian flakes for scraping and outlining the bow.

[attachment deleted by admin]

jamie:
 ;D

ricktrojanowski:
After selecting a tree I cut it down using the big "hand axe" .  Initially making a notch on the tension side then eventually cutting around the entire trunk cutting on the newly created edges.   Then the tree was bent giving it a split between the tension and non tension sides.  Once down it was cut to approximate length.  Then a small silent prayer was said for the dead tree.

ricktrojanowski:
more pics

ricktrojanowski:
Then I debarked the tension side.  Using an obsidian flake to make some light cuts then stripping the bark off.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version