Author Topic: Stone Age Witch Hazel (updated 1/18)  (Read 172167 times)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Stone Age Witch Hazel
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2008, 10:24:32 pm »
That'll cure out just fine Rick and hold the reflex until you start tillering - if it's anything like Hic. Your right ya need a string - would be the time to work on it :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2008, 10:35:39 pm »
cool project. i agree with cowboy, some belly tempering would help keep the reflex. but im sure youve got things all figured out. ;D

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2008, 07:02:00 am »
Sort of figured out, Kind of learning as I go.
Traverse City, MI

Offline DanaM

« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2008, 08:36:16 am »
Coming along nicely rick :) I just cut a bunch of dogbane yesterday, at least I think it was dodbane anyway it has fiber in it
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline ricktrojanowski

« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2008, 10:47:44 pm »
So far the stave has been drying about 1 week in the basement at about 75 degrees at 50% Rh.  I moved it to the hotbox tonight at 90 degrees 40-45%Rh.  I figure I'll give it about 1 week in the box and it should be good working on.  I know this isn't too stone age but I'm anxious to get working.  The string is coming along.  I have about 1/2 the fibres I need( At least I hope ???)  As soon as I get enough cleaned up I'll make the string and post it.
Traverse City, MI

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2008, 11:45:43 pm »
Can't wait to see that, have never made a string from natural fibers.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2008, 09:45:41 pm »
dude this is going to be awesome.
knapp 'um if you got 'um

Offline ricktrojanowski

« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2008, 10:01:51 pm »
I pulled the hazel out of the hot box tonight and took it off of the other stave.  It retained much of the reflex.  Also developed some side to side "out of wackness".  I should be able to bend it in the handle over some heat to line up the tips.  I was suprised just how much mass it lost.   I'm going to have to remove quite a bit of wood to get it bending again.  But I wanted to be safe than sorry.  Also finished about 1/2 the string.  It's my first and quite a learning curve.  I hope to get scraping and string making tomorrow.  I'll post some pics as soon as the wife gets back with the camera.
Traverse City, MI

Bowbound

« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2008, 12:31:37 pm »
Hazel is one of my favourite woods to work with, soft and i love the smell. I have it in abundance round here but most of it is small, and when its big its knarly but the few bows i have of hazel shoot quick and are good.

Offline ricktrojanowski

« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2008, 11:23:37 pm »
Hazel is one of my favourite woods to work with, soft and i love the smell. I have it in abundance round here but most of it is small, and when its big its knarly but the few bows i have of hazel shoot quick and are good.
Thats good to hear.  Sorry for the slow progress.  Just been super busy with everything else.  I'm hoping to finish the string and get some scraping done by the end of this weekend.  I messed around a bit with a obsidian flake and was amazed at how nicely it was cutting.  Might just have to throw out my steel tools.........NOT ;D
Traverse City, MI

sonofgaia

« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2008, 12:05:57 pm »
  Might just have to throw out my steel tools

sounds like a great idea

Bowbound

« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2008, 01:34:53 pm »
Thats good to hear.  Sorry for the slow progress.  Just been super busy with everything else.  I'm hoping to finish the string and get some scraping done by the end of this weekend.  I messed around a bit with a obsidian flake and was amazed at how nicely it was cutting.  Might just have to throw out my steel tools.........NOT ;D

I find its best if you take it slow and stick to how you said you'd do it. Once or twice I've brought out the power stuff and ruined bows. Not again ehh... ;)

salad days

« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2008, 06:08:50 pm »
Slacker! ;) Your right about the head lamp Rick. I don't know how primitive people survived without one. One of my favorite tools ever. Cool post.

Bowbound

« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2008, 05:24:53 pm »
Any progress ???

Keep us updated...

Offline ricktrojanowski

« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2008, 06:03:39 am »
Sorry nothing lately.  All I've done is gotten more fibers for the string.  Which is about 3/4 done.  And cleaned up the stave a bit.  I scraped all of the torn fibers off the belly.  The initial reduction of the wet stave left it really rough.  As I keep saying .......Hopefully some more progress this weekend. ;D
Traverse City, MI