Author Topic: bracing a warbow  (Read 11557 times)

Offline adb

bracing a warbow
« on: August 27, 2008, 11:15:26 am »
I recently acquired a yew self warbow. 74" NTN, 80#, horn nocks. I'm not exceedingly tall (5' 10"), and I'm having a really hard time bracing this beast. I use push/pull for all my bows, but I'm having difficulty getting the string the last inch into the nock on this bow. How does everyone brace their warbows? Can you use a stringer? Should I be using a stringer? If so, does the top nock need an extra string groove? Thanks!

Offline Loki

Re: bracing a warbow
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 01:35:03 pm »
I use a stringer to brace all my Bows,with ELBS and WB's you cant use the the stringers with the little leather bag's on the ends as these Snap your Horn Nock's.I just use a String 6" longer than your Bow string,doing it that way you need to have the extra Grooves cut into the Nock's,hope that helps.
Andy
Durham,England

Offline markinengland

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 04:10:03 pm »
ADB,
Any idea what kind of string is fitted? If it is dacron you may find that a non-stretch string would cure the problem. It is a lot easier to string a heavy bow with a Fastflight or similar string as the unbraced string is just a few inches from the nock and doesn't strtetch.
If your strong enough to shoot the bow and it isn't relfexed you should be able to string it with a non-stretch string with the push-pull method. A little set helps a lot as well so maybe it will get easier as the bow is shot in.
A double loop stringer is very easy to make. if the groove in the bottom nock is deep enought his can hold the bow string and the stringer. A second groove is needed in the top nock for the stringer. it does not need to be very deep, just enough to hold the stringer. If the nocks are put on properly there should be nothing to stop you using the pouch type stringer.
Mark in England

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 07:01:07 pm »
Hey, Mark
The string is Dacron... maybe that's my problem! I normally have no problem using push/pull on any of my other bows, up to 70#. One of the issues with the warbow is the length, however. Thanks for the help.

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 04:09:05 am »
That dacron is really hard to string on a long heavy bow. I also like the double string nocks cut in the bow, I only cut double nocks on the top limb. Long bows are just very hard to string. Steve

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 07:01:51 pm »
Well... I switched to a FF string, and as advised, I can brace the bow with ease. Thanks, guys, for the help. Much appreciated.

Offline Tom_Brone

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 07:16:48 pm »
a very easy method is putting your knee against the handle and using your whole boddy to push te bow forward, with your left hand holding the nock back and your right hand putting the string on your nock. You have to stand against a wall or a tree for this. I use this for all my bows, I just bought a 100 pound warbow (these warbows really are addicting), and it works fine. Never had a problem with this!

Tom

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 07:27:25 am »
I use a long string on mine. Even the real hardcore war bow guys in England use stringers. Its safer for the bow and you  ;)

Here is a double cut nock that was described above:

Steve

triton

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 11:03:31 am »
a very easy method is putting your knee against the handle and using your whole boddy to push te bow forward, with your left hand holding the nock back and your right hand putting the string on your nock. You have to stand against a wall or a tree for this. I use this for all my bows, I just bought a 100 pound warbow (these warbows really are addicting), and it works fine. Never had a problem with this!

Tom
I have used this method and a stringer but now I use this:
put the bottom knock against the outside of my left foot and slip my right foot between string and belly of the bow.  push my butt cheek against the handle area and while pushing the hanndle, pull the top limb and easily slipping the string into the knock.  I shoot 110 @ 32".  as long as you keep the push pull even, it's no problem.

Offline alanesq

• my webpage
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 03:48:03 pm »

I tried this the other day and was very impressed (100lb bow), it works really well
but, I then tried it with my 140lb bow today and there is no way on earth I can string it this way :-(

actually, after re reading your post I am not sure I am doing it the way you do ?
I rest the bottom bow tip on the ground then my knee on the handle leaning on the bow and pulling the tup nock with my hand
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 03:51:11 pm by alanesq »

Offline adb

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 06:20:10 pm »
I broke the bottom tip off a yew selfbow, trying to brace it with my knee. Needless to say, I don't reccommend it.