Author Topic: Working on a Hackberry  (Read 11653 times)

Ranger B

Re: Working on a Hackberry
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2008, 10:38:39 pm »
Ok I took 1.5" off the bottom limb and a few scraps prior to stringing.  Here is where we are.  Still looks like a lot of bend in the bottom limb to me.  Thoughts?

Ranger B

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2008, 10:51:28 pm »
With cutting the 1.5" off the bottom it's still 30" from the shelf to the bottom nock and only 29.5" from the shelf to the top limb.
Ranger B

Badbill

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2008, 01:47:34 am »
That looks a lot better! How is it shooting?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2008, 05:45:49 am »
Looks a lot better Jimmy,take a little off the last 13 of the bottom and a little more from the fads
out 3/4 inches and a little more off the top limb.Have you still got plenty of weight to work with?
Like I said that helped a lot. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2008, 08:45:12 am »
That looks better Jimmy, where is your weight at now? If you need to reduce the weight, I think I'd leave the bottom limb alone and take just a touch more from the fades top limb and lighten up the last 12" or so of the top limb leaving about 4" out from the tip stiff.

That's my 2 cents worth...it probably would be fine as is if you're pleased with it.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2008, 12:15:40 pm »
Lookin good. Pappy and Greg know what they are talking about so I would lsiten to them, they have posted some killer bows on here and I respect everything they have to teach on the subject. I am really glad you did this hackberrry, you have proven to me that it can make a very nice bow and I would really like to feel how it shoots. I will have to do one, one of these days.  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Ranger B

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2008, 12:40:44 pm »
I took some off the tip and a little in the fades then thinned (narrowed) the bottom limb a bit so it wasn't so much wider than the top limb.  On my hand pull scale it is 50# on the money but I don't always trust that scale.  It's ok because my other 50ish # bows pull around 47 on it so I'm ok with weight.  I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet so who knows how it will feel.  That bottom limb seems so much shorter to me but I guess it's just what I'm used to.  Like I said, if you measure from the shelf to the nocks the bottom is still longer.
Jimmy

Offline DanaM

« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2008, 01:42:12 pm »
Ranger the bottom limb may be longer measured from the shelf but thats not accurate measure both limbs from the bottom of the fade where bend starts
that is your actual limb length everything in between is just dead wood. BTW looking much better now, I would shoot it before doing anything else and see how it feels :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Ranger B

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2008, 08:56:25 pm »
Here is the latest photo.  Much better you think?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2008, 09:09:03 pm »
       Now.....leave Er Be Jimmy...........I beleive that you got this as close as you are going to get it now.....looks nice....

I was always told that you can fix something till it's Broke......

Sorta like the Safety Programs We have at Work....I keep telling them that You can push Safety at People till You Hurt Them

...and they cant comprehend what I am talking about....go figger!!!!

::)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2008, 09:46:08 pm »
Looks great Jimmy.  Now take it to the club shoot and show them how its done.  ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2008, 11:06:05 pm »
   That looks real good , Jimmy. I see the problem now, wasn't paying close attention before. You were holding the bow upside down with the wrong hand,  :-\ ;D ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Rich Saffold

« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2008, 01:07:52 am »
Jimmy, you will convert a few more from the dark side when they see you shoot your new bow..looks great!

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2008, 08:09:33 am »
Lookin' good...now go send some arrows down range!  ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Ranger B

« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2008, 08:24:22 am »
Thanks everyone for the help.  This one gave me some new challenges but the bleacher full of great coaches saved the day in the end.  I shot it some last night and it shoot pretty well.  Need to get some arrows tuned with it.  I took out a handful of arrows and they all wag their tail (nock) left in flight and impact left of the bull.  Even some 33" arrows that are spined for 40-45#.   I'll have some tuning to do.
Ranger B