Author Topic: primitive arrows at 3D shoots?  (Read 3965 times)

scota

primitive arrows at 3D shoots?
« on: September 01, 2008, 11:28:41 pm »
Since I have never been I was just wondering at the acceptance of shooting primitive arrows at the larger 3D shoot courses ,,,,like at ETAR?  Is it allowed and accepted, any rules or etiquette to followed for types of arrows/arrow heads??

Thanks !

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: primitive arrows at 3D shoots?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 12:26:17 am »
I generally use a standard field point on my primitive arrows for target practice and 3-D shoots. There are other methods and as long as they don't do any more damage to a target that a field point they should be OK. One friend tapers the point end of his cane arrows about 2" to 3" beyond a node, fills the void with fine sand and seals it with pine pitch. Barry shot a 20 target 3D course with this arrow bouncing it off of rocks and sticking it in trees....as well as the targets! ;D      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 09:13:14 am »
The nail and brazing rod points work very well with the cane shafts. Putting the piece of metal in the shoot shafts work too. Thanks for showing those to me Pat.
TJ
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 09:56:14 am »
TJ, Those were Kenneth's idea. I was fortunate enough to be the first recipient. They do work quite well for target arrow points.  ;)    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline markinengland

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 05:00:42 pm »
Hardwood points work well. Just put on a footing in whatever way you want and use a pencil sharpener! I have found Bulletwood very durable and I am sure that Ipe or other harder tropical woods could work even better. The South American native use black palm split along the grain for long foreshaft/points and from using these ntive arrows I know they work very well and are amazingly durable. If the foreshaft and point is no larger than a field point and is basically a bullet shape and sharp rather than a flat ended blunt they will do no more damage to a target or 3D than a field point.
A friend of mine makes taper fit Bulletwood points on hazel and dogwood shafts and these work very well.
Mark in England