Author Topic: Red Oak and Bamboo  (Read 5132 times)

Offline kayakfisher

Red Oak and Bamboo
« on: August 31, 2008, 11:27:13 pm »
My sixteen year old son decided he wanted the pride of building his own bow. So we went to lows lumber yard  and bought the best Red Oak board that we could purchase . So he could get started on it after roughing it out I notice that the grain was not the best in some places. Seriously considering a Bamboo backing on it ,has anyone built a Oak and Bamboo laminate before . Do not want failure on his first one has watched to many of mine blow up.
                                                     Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline Dano

Re: Red Oak and Bamboo
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 11:56:42 pm »
You don't have to back it with bamboo, you can use hickory, silk, cotton, rawhide, hemp. How bad is the grain, how many run outs do ya have?

Oh yeah I forgot, http://mysite.verizon.net/georgeandjoni/ Jawge has some good info on red oak board bows.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 12:03:51 am by Dano »
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 12:03:47 am »
I would recommend one of the other backings and not the boo. There is a good possibility that the boo will over power the red oak core..JMO..

David

Offline bcbull

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 12:18:44 am »
  if it was me  id get a 1/8 strip  of pig nut hickory    thats what my kid did on his ffirst and it s worked so far ,, good luck and show  us the pic s when he gets it done brock

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 06:34:59 am »

NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Dano

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 01:17:26 pm »
I was hopeing you'd post this bow Manny, everybody says, you can't back red oak with bamboo.

::)
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 01:25:52 pm »
    One of the guys in our group Jon, built a very nice one as well. I would be afraid of the boo overpowering as well. I think if you use nice full arc tiller and keep the boo thin it can work out pretty well. Steve

Badbill

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 04:41:14 pm »
I noticed that the boo seems very thin.  What thickness did the boo end up?  Really nice bow by the way! ;)

Offline Don

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 09:07:26 pm »
Dennis.
 I just finished a Maple board bow 27#@25" for my wife.
I backed it with hemp canvas, worked great. I happen to have the hemp on hand.
Don

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 10:00:13 pm »
Thanks Don after my son seen Nomadic Pirates bow posted on the forum he liked the looks of the oak and bamboo were going to go for broke.
                                              Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 10:49:12 pm »
Dennis....Hey....Manny can pull off Miracles when it come to building Bows....cant He!!!..... As of now....I have two Bamboo Backed Bow....One Maple and one White Oak....and both are doing great....just make sure that you thin the Boo down so that it is paper thin on the Edges of the Limbs....that way it wont be  able to overpower the Oak ....I think you will be just fine..............Go for it!!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 06:44:51 pm »
I have made two bows with bamboo backing a Osage and bamboo and a hickory and bamboo were going to give it a shot
                                          Dennis

wanabehunter

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 11:12:57 pm »
why be afraid of breaking a bow.... if you want to try something do it! If it works out then its Great but if not... youve gotten some good practice in. We've all broken many bows before

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2008, 03:35:57 am »
i made a redoak/bamboo reflex-deflex about a year ago. i really didnt know what i was doing, and left the bamboo about 1/4" thick. i did trap it, and it did take abunch of set. but it didnt fret anywhere. and its still shooting. id deffinately say you can do it. just use your head.

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.