Author Topic: a raccoon falls victim.....  (Read 21589 times)

Offline Zach Roberts

Re: a raccoon falls victim.....
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2008, 12:53:44 am »
I loved that article man,but that's beside the point...no pun intended lol..... Nice kill man
"If you ain't first...you're last"

"If you're not living on the edge,You're takin up to much space"

radius

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2008, 03:21:46 am »
it ain't wasting even if you throw it away:  after all, you're protecting the chickens and your brother's money...i'm just surprised you shot it so much...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2008, 07:35:06 am »
Nice job Billy,Coon ant greasy it taste a lot like Venison,pretty tasty. :) The last one I killed I mad coon stew and it was very good.Now ground hog is greasy. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2008, 11:26:21 pm »
see im lazy and a cave boy and id cut some meat off and just fry it in butter, not a real good way to prepare an old boar coon..
Modern Day Tramp

bushytail

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2008, 02:10:37 am »
I heard the younger ones taste better and are more tender.Maybe you need to cook the older ones longer at a lower temp.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2008, 03:48:43 pm »

Again Billy way to go.  And again way to respect the animal.  As for what Mad Crow, said, Believe it!  Years ago, when I was in the army, my dad took some friends down to our camp in the Big Cypress, and he thought he had enough food.  That is till he saw how two growing teenagers eat.  Well one of my friends hated black eye peas, so after they had eaten up all the chicken, and hamburger, they decided that they would go kill something to eat.  Well they killed a big ol Coon, and brought him back to the cabin, and started to clean and cook it.  Well my dad came back, and asked what smells?  When they told him they were cooking a coon, he asked them if they had removed the glands.  They responded with " What glands? "  Well, not only could they not eat it, the dogs wouldn't even eat it!  They ended up eating Black eyed peas......then remembered the big canal, and caught some fish.
     I have never eaten coon before, but I know some of the people in N.C. will fight you for one.  Some people I have worked with, just love it.  They fry it.  I know I have eaten Armadillo, and it is great.  Nope, doesn't taste like chicken, tastes like pork.  Just par boil it, then batter it and fry it.  Might work with Coon also.  Ask those who do eat it, they can tell better how to prepare, and cook it.  BUT DO BY ALL MEANS, REMOVE THE GLANDS!!!

Wayne

Wayne

jamie

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2008, 04:42:54 pm »
nice work billy. im sure its been eaten by now but my favorite cooking method for all small game is on a spit over coals. belly up. when the juices in the belly have all but dissapeared its done. like said though glands and fat gotta go. had a buddy cook up a beaver for he had taken. he never removed the glands and you could smell it when he was cookin it. i let him take the first and only bite. :)

Papa Matt

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2008, 04:39:11 pm »
Any brothers know where these glands are located so I can be sure to cut them out?

~~Papa Matt

jamie

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2008, 05:04:10 pm »
depends on the critter. some have it in the front legs, some in all the legs. and so on and so on

Papa Matt

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2008, 05:07:12 pm »
I know they're usually in the legs, but I mean specifically on a coon where are they? When you skin the beast, don't they come off with the skin or you have to cut them off of the meat after you already skin it?

~~Matt

Offline cracker

« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2008, 08:47:20 pm »
Mighty tasty backed with bbq sauce and sweet taters. As for the hide coon skin cap.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline billy

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2008, 05:31:16 pm »
The glands, also called Kernels, are located under the armpits and also on the lower back (from what I remember).  I did remove the glands from my raccoon.  They are about the size of a lima bean and are a hard, off-white nugget.  If you remove all the fat and excess crud you'll remove the glands in the process.  They're not buried in the muscle, but just outside of it.  Anyway, I still haven't eaten him yet, but $$$ is getting tight, so it'll probably be soon when I do cook him up!
Marietta, Georgia

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2008, 09:24:28 pm »
   Cook him up, Billy. They are tasty, like cracker said, with BBQ sauce on the grill. There used to be an old Black man near here that would trap them, put them in cages and feed them Buttermilk and bisquits. Then he'd sell them for $30 a piece. Always had a waiting list on holidays.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline sailordad

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2008, 10:41:59 pm »
now thats sounding yummy ;D >:D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2008, 06:29:45 pm »
Ya know what? We lack them type of charectors here in the NW. Makes life interesting!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill