Author Topic: First try at making a bow, need help with tillering?  (Read 5372 times)

Offline Badger

Re: First try at making a bow, need help with tillering?
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2008, 10:44:36 pm »
I think it is bending a bit too much right out of the handle i would fix that before I went any further, might just be the camera angle though. Steve

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2008, 11:16:41 pm »
Can you show us a picture of the riser and arrow rest or shelf if it has one on it
                                                           Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2008, 10:26:14 am »
I would have to agree - does appear to be bending most just past the handle, may need a little scraping mid limb. or could be the camera, I couldn't tell ya which side is up - but would listen to these guys :). What did your instruction's say as far as tiller and finishing?
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Shaun77

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2008, 05:35:19 pm »
Ok.  Here are some pictures of the arrow rest and riser.  The directions didn't say much. 

The directions say to "go up the limb 10" and measure from the inner limb to the string on each side and see if there is any difference in the measurements.  If there is you want to take the string off and remove material from the stronger limb."

The stronger limb seems to be the upper one because it is closer from the inner limb to the string on that one.  The question I have is from where would I normally want to measure up the limb 10"?  Is it from the arrow rest or the tip of the limb?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2008, 06:05:53 pm »
     Was the Rest already cut into the Stave?? Looks to me like the thicker part should have been the Bottom Limb.....JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2008, 06:08:32 pm »
Okay here is how I tiller my bows since yours is already braced [strung ] go to the tips of the bow and measure back six inches from the tips [ both ends or knocks] and draw a line put a mark then measure six inches from that mark going down the limbs both sides / in six inch increments [.......6........]............6.........]............6.........].............6..........] until your marks meet in the middle some where  when you string your bow take a twelve inch ruler tape measure yard stick will work and go to your first six inch mark from the tip/nock and take a measurement then go to opposite limb and do the same thing write the measure ment down by the mark then go on down the limb in this manner this will tell you how close you are and where needs more scraped off if its within a 1/8 inch of being same don't worry at this point. Your going to need a way of measuring draw weight go to lumberyard and purchase a two by two and screw a 6 by six piece of plywood ,pine ,oak or something on it starting from the top of the two by two measure in one inch increments write it on the two by two1.....2......3......4........5......6.....7... all the way to thirty inches you will probably not go that far place the two by two with the square piece on your bath room scale and set the scale to zero take the strung bow and place the middle of the string on the two by two and slowly push the bow down and watch the scale if and watch the measurement on the two by two  if want a fifty Pound bow  at say twenty  eight inch draw  and your at fifteen inches  on the two by two and your weight is still pretty heavy your going to have to scrape more off the belly of the limbs remeasure everything keep the bow bending even on both sides place back on the two by two and slowly push down you will get a little farther down the two by two stop when you get to the measurement on the two by two that is you draw length and the weight you want the bow go slow don't rush or get in a hurry .
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2008, 06:21:25 pm »
a picture is woth a thousand words

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Dano

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2008, 06:39:23 pm »
Where did your Dad get this bow?
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Shaun77

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2008, 08:05:53 pm »
The arrow rest was already in the bow when he got it.

Kayakfisher-Thank you for the better instructions.  That makes more since and the pictures are great.  I'll do what you suggested to check the weight as well.

Dano-  I think he got it off fo ebay.  It was only like $99 or something like that, but for one to hack at for a first time I don't think it's that bad.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Shaun