Author Topic: some dover texas and others  (Read 4668 times)

jamie

some dover texas and others
« on: September 02, 2008, 04:42:49 pm »
light brown is dover, grey is concrete from texas that i now find easy after working dover, noviculite adze and a knife from god nows what. i found the dover percusses well and i need to just about do the whole point that way then just clean up the edges. problem is i always go for that last flake and snap em. i broke as many as i made. peace

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: some dover texas and others
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 05:04:30 pm »
Cool points Jamie.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

jamie

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 05:26:12 pm »
thank you kind sir :)

Offline xin

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 06:57:52 pm »
Very nice group of points.  The first point I ever found was a large Dover chert biface,3.5" long and 2" wide, that was very thick and had side notches.  The edges were unworked and at least a half inch was broken from the tip.  The interesting thing is it had to travel during the late archaic from middle Tennessee to southwest Arkansas.  That is a pretty good triip given the time period.  After reading a book on Povery Point in Louisiana by Jon Gibson I believe it was used to dig roots or tubers.  Dover is really tough looking stuff,but you did a nice job with it.  Glad to see someone else likes novaculite.  It has become my favorite material.  I can't think of any other rock that is so abundant in vivid colors and glossiness.  It takes getting use to but itreally knaps nicely.  I'm very lucky liiving here in Tx halfway between the Edwrds Plateau and Hot Springs, Ark, home of mountains of novaculite, where Osage grows like weeds.  Great set of points.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 10:57:09 pm »
Nice blades Jamie.  Glad to see something made out of that stuff....Other than rubble.   ;D
Traverse City, MI

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 07:07:03 am »
They all look great to me.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 12:13:39 pm »
Good lookin' points, Jamie.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 12:58:07 pm »
That's a nice handfull of points and adze, bet you worked up a sweat on that ;D. Did you cook em in the pit?
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

jamie

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 10:02:48 am »
no cookin. rick tro gave me the stone so the noviculit was already cooked and the others i worked raw. thanks guys

PeteDavis

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 10:53:10 pm »
Great points! How about a closeup of the gray, stemmed triangle? I like it.  ;DPD

jamie

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 08:27:30 am »
i'll see if i can get a pic up later. stems are my favorite style. they bond in the shaft the best. need perfect flight though or they tend to break right at the shaft. most of the points i make are too big for hunting so i later modify them with stems. peace