Author Topic: Hunting Weight  (Read 9472 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Hunting Weight
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2008, 12:18:40 am »
I can shoot 80-90# but I think it would be silly for hunting North American game. If I ever get to hunt cape buffalo I will be shooting 90#. Justin

And when you are My Age.....you will be going in for either a Labral Tear....or Rotator Cuff Surgery too!!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2008, 12:42:39 am »
Not necessarily ! Ya a Doctor Mike ?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2008, 12:48:14 am »
                             Not that last time I checked Bob......Let ME Feel.....Nope ......still a Crane Operator!!!!!!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 06:43:25 pm by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2008, 01:33:57 am »
I hope so, I would lots rather be cripple from shooting a bow than from swinging a hammer.  8) Ill probably kill myself on a four wheeler first anyway.  ;)
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Gordon

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2008, 02:29:18 am »
I like a 60# bow for my hunting.
Gordon

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2008, 08:52:28 am »
When I used to use a recurve, 65# was comfortable. With selfbows and a few more years under my belt, 45-55# is more my speed and plenty for deer in my opinion. ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2008, 02:39:58 pm »
right now i shoot roughly 50# but when i move west i plan to use higher maybe sixties or low seventies.... but for deer a good 45# or maybe a bit lower will work just fine...
Modern Day Tramp

Offline rudderbows

• Rudderbows Archery
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2008, 02:55:19 pm »
Joe trapper. Moving west? When and where? Stop by, I am in washington state

Offline Traxx

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2008, 03:36:57 pm »
What do i think?
I think this area has been debated since,archery became popular again,and bow seasons were established.There have allways be those,"Taste great!!!Less filling!! kinda arguments ,with good points from both sides.Some by experience n some by theory.Since you mention whitetails as your intended target,i would say you are fine.I believe,that when Dr Ashby's recent studies are published,folks are gonna be surprised at the results.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2008, 04:54:47 pm »
I'm still worrying about the bullet-proof aliens ;).

Offline kiwijim

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2008, 05:49:37 pm »
Howard Hill had a good rule of thumb concerning the draw weight for a hunting bow.
It went something like " start with 35# and add 1# for every yard of range you will be shooting to."

I personally like shooting 55-60#, mainly because I shoot heavy arrows and like to get pass-throughs

James

orcbow

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2008, 09:07:56 pm »
I'm still worrying about the bullet-proof aliens ;).

I think about 70# is good for hunting orcs  ;D especially if you armed them with a 58# bow!!

jamie

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2008, 09:26:37 pm »
first stone tooled bow i built was 45# ash. one cold morning i walked into a new area the deer there took off and then meandered back. was pitch black and i could here them moving around. one was so close i could hear it breathe. that deer meandered around me for 30 minutes. i thought the light would never break and when it did the 90lb doe was still there. unfortuneatly i was sitting down with my legs crossed and couldnt come to draw in that position. she came into 12 yards and i shot from the chest and buried a 600 grain ash shaft and normanskill point through hers. it just broke through the other side. after it was all over and the deer was in the freezer i was curious to how i even made the shot. and tried it again in the backyard. couldnt do it. i also checked the bow weight at the draw i used. roughly 35 lbs. granted it was a close shot but it was still only 35 lbs and almost passed through.

Offline david w.

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2008, 09:54:18 pm »
45-60# are my favorite draws
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2008, 10:19:24 pm »
I believe as we get older our perspectives change ! I before getting into the [real archery world] shot a Bear take down hunter at my draw length it was 52 pounds my wife shot a 40 pound wheelie with carbon arrows and I shot 11/32 POC her arrows at the same distance would blow right through a backstop [hay bales] mine would bury 8 to ten inches in but sound like back stop was getting hit with a cinder block . Now I shoot a 45 pound Osage ,rawhide plains style bow more comfortable to shoot with 5/16 arrows .I would rather something know it been shot than to just blow right through. Thats experience talking I have been shot with a high velocity round went right through the flesh,thigh of right leg did not know I had been hit till the blood started soaking into my boot never really hurt.
                                                                                         Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's