Author Topic: replay for glue on bbi  (Read 3137 times)

Offline burn em up chuck

replay for glue on bbi
« on: September 03, 2008, 02:31:42 pm »
 ok i remember this being discussed before, can't seem to locate. if a person were to do a proper prep. and cleaning will titebond 3 do the job? i make sure both glue surfaces are sanded and flat,then clean both with denat. alcohol, acitone(my fav.). do you think this procedure would be good enough?
                                                                 chuck

ps.
  i work around these types of chem. alot and know the dangers and
how to protect myself. there is another chem. thats very good for cleaning
also.MEK very dangerous!!! you can buy this chem. over the counter. ask for
msds(materiel safety data sheet) normaly they won't ask you if you want one.
this stuff mes's w/your gene pool. sorry just had to say somthing,not widely known.
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
Re: replay for glue on bbi
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 03:36:15 pm »
It would work.. but make sure to rough up the boo and core..

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 03:54:49 pm »
I have used TB2 and 3 with bbi.  I sand mine really smooth then clean them before gluing.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 05:03:35 pm »
With TB glues the surfaces should be smooth and flat. They don't recommend toothing or roughing up the surface.     
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline knightd

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 05:56:17 pm »
Well I did not know that!! I always used 40 grit to ruff mine up first when useing tight bond..
 I know now ;) Thanks guy's for corecting me..

Offline sailordad

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 11:24:45 pm »
yup nice and smooth like a babys bottom for glue, roughed up for epoxys like bow grip 100 etc

least thats how id do it and it seems to work

tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Rich Saffold

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 12:34:25 am »
Dave,

Even with 40 grit if the surfaces sit flush and are clean this is still tight enough tolerance for TB3.  Normally I finish with an 80 grit on the sander and a little hand sanding with 120, but I have glued plenty up in the past finishing with a 36 grit and they worked fine..I just wouldn't take a toothing plane or  a farriers rasp to it...

Rich
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 06:08:50 pm by Rich Saffold »

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 01:17:32 am »
 thank you everyone helping me out. this will be my first bbi. i was given a bamboo pole a few years back from oregon bamboo gardens. what is so amazing about this perticular piece is the nodes are 14" to 16" apart. it's been sitting around for quite awhile, the problem is i already shaped it. i made the handle section to long. but from everything i've read and from this site. i think i can make it work.

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline knightd

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 01:26:52 am »
Thanks Rich.. I havent had any problems with useing it. but I only done a couple of bows with it before I went back to urac..

Offline avcase

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 04:19:45 pm »
I have had great experience with ipe and tight bond 3. As mentioned above, I make sure that the mating surfaces are very smooth and flat and completely free of dust beforehand. I found that it is not necessary to wipe the mating surfaces with a solvent. Finally, it is important to give the glue plenty of time to dry and set before stressing the bow in any way. The bond strength grows substantially over a period of a week. TB3 introduces quite a bit of moisture to the wood and dense oily woods like ipe don't let the moisture back out very quick so be patient and give it time.
 Alan