Author Topic: Hide-a-bow contest  (Read 3386 times)

Offline PeteC

Hide-a-bow contest
« on: September 03, 2008, 10:42:20 pm »
 A while back someone started a contest to build a short bow that could be hidden from sight in some way,had to be of hunting weight ,and could'nt be sinew backed. Is it still going on,or ,is it over? If not,I've got a 40" osage bow in the works.Anybody know?  God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

Re: Hide-a-bow contest
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 02:22:21 am »
Oh yeah aint that the guy on the west coast that aint got time ta make a bow fer the contest he started ? ;D

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 03:52:55 am »
Coo-wah-chobee, now at the top of the list!  >:D  ;)

Had a major hickup in life. The business partner (Mom) had to go through brain surgery so I have been behind on the bow building stuff. Give me a little time and I will build one. Mom's fine now and we are getting into the business again getting it going so I expect to have more time to build some bows in the future.

Also, it's not a contest but a challenge to see if anyone can do it and what type of bows they can come up with. I am thinking it may be possible to make a primitive type of fiberglass that uses hemp fiber and rosin mixed with some other type of filler and make it act like a natural fiberglas (natural glass?). Will think on it some more!

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Kegan

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 05:57:24 pm »
I ignored a bad spot in the wood and mine snapped. By borther's is sitting up on the shelf, as other stuff took over. Though, I have wanted to try a West Coast style bow, and I haven't got sinew anyway...

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 06:34:44 pm »
Kegan, I'm thinking pine resin mixed with a little beeswax might make a good matrix for putting flax fibres on the back of a bow. The Hide glue shrinks at the same rate as sinew which may cause it to separate from the flax if used. The flax/pine resin and beeswax wont pull away from the flax and wood but will still act much like an epoxy resin ( I hope!).

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 11:16:01 pm »
Hey Tiller ! I DIDNT enter yer contest so I CANT be at the top of yer list.Ya need ta think back David ! ;D

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 12:26:39 am »
OTHER list! Cow-wah-chobee. The OTHER list!!!  :o ;D

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 12:52:13 am »
Ya DONT want me on yer OTHER list David! Trust me on this one ! ;D :o

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 10:21:15 pm »
Let me guess. If I put you on the OTHER list I will be getting swamp moccasins in the mail and other nasty critters????  :o ;D

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2008, 12:30:26 am »
THATS A GOOD ONE ;D