Author Topic: squirrel huntin this year?  (Read 4799 times)

Offline mitchman

squirrel huntin this year?
« on: September 01, 2008, 09:11:26 pm »
hey just wondering who all is planning on bustin some squirrels with their primitive gear this year. i thought i would start a post tailored specifically for squirrel and small game hunting this season. i always find it fun to look at pictures of hunting success(or not success) if you have a funny story. post your pictures of your gear this year and all the stuff you will be using this year or even what you used in the past  years. lets all get inspired for this season with some pics.

ill start with a pic of a squirrel i got this year(first primiitive kill ever). red squirrel in moosehead maine. 8 yards. 30 pound ash long bow.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 09:20:58 pm by mitchman »

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: squirrel huntin this year?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 11:50:20 pm »
I've already posted this pic, but thought it would go well with this thread. Small game with bow and arra - here we go ;).

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 06:48:18 am »
Man you boys can shoot,I do good to hit a deer.Nice job. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 11:35:42 am »
Pappy, if you took as many shots as Cowboy you should be able to hit at least one deer! ;D >:D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 11:38:14 am »
It was good excercise ;D.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 11:58:01 am by cowboy »
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 12:47:00 pm »
I didn't hear about number of shots,just seen the dove. ;) ;D ;D and that is good no matter how many shots it took.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Kegan

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 07:44:35 pm »
I'll be toting the same bow I would use for anything- 75# Osage ELB, and my usual practice blunts.

Here's a story for you. The three tree rats that got away...

I was using a 61" sinew backed hickory D bow, and about a dozen poorly matched arrows. The first one was early in the season. I shot first at 13 yards or so, and the arrow soared into a valley. After that I promptly missed two more times at about four yards. Boy was I feeling stupid ;D.

A few weeks after that, it got WORSE. I saw a gray at the bottom of a tree, and stalked within three FEET of the little bugger. I shot FOUR TIMES and missed each time. I later realized that a five foot bow could have easily become a squirrel club. But alas ;D...

Finally, I set about one last time. This time, I couldn't get very close. It was up in a tree, perhaps the same I scared nearly to death with my misguided missles earlier, about 15 yards away. I shot about four or five times, none came that close, but it sure made for it's hole in a hurry.

No squirrels were harmed in the making of this act of stupidity ;D ;D ;D ;D!!!!

I learned three things: 1) I stink with shortbows 2) good arrows make good accuracy, and poor arrows make a stupid looking archer ;) and 3) tree rats think it's funny to let you get in about two or three shots before laughing as they run away :'(!

Young Viking

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 05:18:35 am »
Hello everyone! This is my first post and first time looking through the blog. So let me just start by saying... Good shooting both of you!
 I wish i was back in Maine, im usually in denmark, Maine for summer, but i need to work here in CT, Where theres alot of squirrels because nobody hunts them here!!! they even feed the little rats(big rats).!!!
I am also new to archery, rifle hunting is way too easy for my liking. So i bought a recurve bow, 50lbs, you can take the limbs off too, its pretty nice. I am a good shot with it so far, id say i had good luck... I got 2 squirrels eating my strawberries! and a rabbit(was delicious too). I also lost 3 arrows though! rrrrrrr real nice cedar arrows.....

I need your help though! :)
I really really want to learn to build my own bow!!!!
If anyone can guide me, how to build a bow my anscestors used (Vikings from Norway) I would be indebted to you. and will share some good(unusual) recipes for game with you if you put a little effort into it!
Thanks so much ;D!!!!
May your arm be steady my friends! Good hunting!

Offline Kegan

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 04:02:10 pm »
Young Viking- You'd have better luck on the bow question on the bow forum. But, I've read in several places that the viking bows were very much like the English longbows, only made of whitewoods or whatever else they could get, and lighter in weight.  Building a bow isn't too hard- just look at the "Red Oak Stick" I posted ;).

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 07:04:12 pm »
i will be hunting the grays and fox squirrels here for sure....plan to do a good bit of it after school. I have a squirrel haven thats about a mile back in on top of a small mountain, good luck to you guys.....
Modern Day Tramp