Author Topic: making my first knife ??what do i do next?  (Read 5323 times)

Offline sailordad

making my first knife ??what do i do next?
« on: September 05, 2008, 08:06:59 pm »
ok so im not the fastest at getting my knife done for the KITH, but it is progressing, sorry no pics yet.

i do have it cut out of an old circular saw blade,the metsl seems pretty hard as i cant really scratch it with a file.

so my question is , how do i make it soft enough to put a bevel into the blade?

not to be pushy but i would like to finish this project so any input is greatly appreciated ;D

peace,
                                                                                        tim
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 01:59:18 am by sailordad »
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
Re: making my first knife ??
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 08:53:37 pm »
If you have a gringer or belt sander, you can bevel it without annealing it. Just go slow.  If you get the metal too hot, it will start to change colors and look like a rainbow.  If that happens, finish the bevel and then heat treat and temper.  If you do not have any of those things, you can heat it red hot and let it cool down slowly.  It should be soft enough then.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 09:26:09 pm »
If it's that Hard....how did you cut it out??? I always toss them on the Charcoal Grill with a big load of Coals....and dig them out the Next morning....then they are all nice and soft...ready to be bandsawed out....and shaped....then I heat them and quench them in Oil when I have them all shaped and polished out......
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 11:45:22 pm »
i used my 90 degree die grinder from work with these realy sweet green cutting discs,it spins at 25000 rpm >:D

tim

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 09:49:26 pm »
ok so i gave up on that one >:(

starter two differant ones of the same design out of a diff saw blade,much more user firendly ;D

i have them cut out,edges beveled but not completly sharpened.i will drill holes and make handles tomorrow.as far as the knife itself goes,
what would my next step be? ???

peace,
                                                                              tim