Author Topic: Hunting Weight  (Read 9337 times)

Offline possum

Re: Hunting Weight
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2008, 12:50:45 pm »
Ouch.  Well, maybe not.  Did it hurt after you saw it? ???

possum
"To ensure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good." George Washington

mebane NC

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2008, 01:14:14 pm »
i think it would depend on the cast of the 45# bow.  regardless of the poundage, i would not feel comfortable shooting a bow that was slower than 150fps using a 500gr arrow.  i shoot 55-65# and mostly 650-750gr. arrows for hunting.  i like for my arrows to pass through thus leaving a blood trail on both sides of the trail.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2008, 06:42:05 pm »
Know it never really hurt, I was more in shock when I seen the bullett hole on both sides of my leg and blood runing down both sides, I got lucky know major arteries were hit and it missed the bone
              Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline Kegan

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2008, 06:45:53 pm »
kayakfisher- Now I'm curious. I'm guessing you're talking about field points, right? What was the comparative result of the two shooting broadheads?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2008, 10:14:16 pm »
  I'm in the 55#- 60 range. I like flat shooting at 15 yds and passthrough shot also. The more blood the better.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2008, 12:27:17 am »
The speed and efficiency of a bow is what matters most, but for moderately efficient bows, I think a 45-50lb bow ought to do it.
       Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2008, 10:28:59 am »
I shoot any where from 48 to around 53 lbs.and with a 550/600 grain arrow have had no problem with whitetail.I think that is plenty.You could get by with less if the shot placement is good.Mine
ant always that good. :) I try and keep my shots 12 to 15 yards or less. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline TRACY

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2008, 10:52:26 am »
I'm shooting mid 50's and feel it is more than adequate to harvest deer. I like the layup shots, so I keep my range 15yards and under. I plan on using a 43lb osage to hunt with at some point and feel it has plenty of zip w/ 550 gr arrow. I believe if you're comfortable/accurate with the bow of choice and know your equipment well as most primitive archers do then 40 lbs and up will be sufficient for deer at close range(25 yards and under with emphasis on the under). JMO

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956