Author Topic: Red Oak Stick  (Read 6105 times)

Offline Kegan

Red Oak Stick
« on: September 06, 2008, 04:12:48 pm »
I made this from a leftover piece of red oak board I cut for an Andaman-Holmegaard build along I started. I really wanted to make a bow outta it, and this is what I got.

It started out as a semi-Algonquin, but I just had to anrrow the tips. It's 66" long, unfinished, with not-so-perfect grain. It's only 1 1/8" wide between midlimbs, tapering to slightly under 3/8" wide pin nocks. It's taken about 1.5" of string follow so far, but isn't fully broken in. It draws about 55# at 28" at the moment, but again, it hasn't fully broken in yet. I didn't make a string, but jsut has the "uni-bow" stirng I use for tillering at brace height and past, which is 18 strands of Dacron. It took me just under an hour to make and tiller.

And despite the slightly off-tiller, rushed building, and heavy string, it shoots a 550 grain arrow stiaght and fast out to about 35 yards (beyond which the elevation becomes difficult under branches), and would be a fine deer or small game weapon at under 20. I'm suprised at how easy this bow was to make, and how FAST it is. Blew me right out of the water!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Dano

Re: Red Oak Stick
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 04:56:10 pm »
Nice job Kegan, looks like a great bow to me.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 06:08:02 pm »
Wish I could turn out a bow like that in an hour ;D. Looks good Kegan, that tiller's purty!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 04:46:08 am »
Nice job.  Looks exactly like my first board bow (white ash).....took me three days to build.....and it broke exactly in the center after about 100 shots.  This was back in the day when I knew nothing about proper tiller.  Your tiller looks great.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 12:45:02 pm »
I can't hit the ground past 20 yards anyway!  Looks like a good hunting bow to me.  As always, the tiller looks great. ;)
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 12:48:36 pm »
Nice job, keegan. Nothing wrong with that tiller. Looks very good. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 01:07:46 pm »
Great use of a stick and Primitive! Good job.  Bookmarked, too.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 01:09:34 pm »
That's my kind of bow!  I love the simple bendy handle bows. They are quite effective too.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 02:44:22 pm »
nice bow man! no waste here...thats good too see and its simple looking; a good woods bow for sure...
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Kegan

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 03:08:03 pm »
Thanks guys :)! It's sister piece, the same size from the otehr half of the board (which is as confusing to try and explain as it is to visualize :D) is even better grained and slightly denser. If I get a break this afternoon while the tips of my Andaman-Holmegaard dry, I'll make it up and get some pictures. I'd like to try even narrower tips on the next one, see just how quick one of these 60 minute bows can get :)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 09:28:42 am »
Nice job Kegan,Tiller looks good,nothing wrong with that. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good