Author Topic: Just in Time  (Read 5225 times)

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
Just in Time
« on: September 08, 2008, 11:02:58 pm »
Deer season opens in 3 weeks and I finally got me some turkey feathers to finish up my first cane arrows. I got the cane from a guy I meet in South Fork Co. this summer. He just handed me a handful and said have fun. ;D The points I made from a bandsaw blade. This was my first time to fletch with real feathers.(as if you couldn't tell ;)). I am trying different sizes for the points. The small ones (75grn) are the only ones I have shot yet. They fly like darts. It was raining tonight when I got the heavier (135grn) one done. I will try it tomorrow and hopefully it will fly well also. I would like a heavier head on my arras. I would not have been able to do this without all the knowledge I have gained here on PA, so thanks to everyone. Anyway I hope you like them.

John

« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 11:12:05 pm by Okie1 »
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Just in Time
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 12:23:19 am »
John, your arrows look very good. As long as they fly well is all that matters. This year, all my hunting arrows are cane.
   You might check your local DNR about your broadheads. The first 2 would be illegal here in NC. They are barbed at the back end. The third one is fine. ;)      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 05:51:10 am »
Looks like that should do the job,nice work. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Little John

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 08:42:52 am »
Nice arrows, the fletching looks fine to me and you get better with practice, congrats and good luck this fall.     Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 08:48:35 am »
Good looking arrows, and best of luck hunting with them this year. I've enjoyed making the cane arrows I'm going to hunt with this year, I think there is more personal satisfaction when you make a lot of your equipment yourself. Makes the end result all the sweeter!  :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline cheapshot

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 10:13:47 am »
Great looking arrows.  Should get the job done for sure.

Offline Scowler

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 10:46:11 am »
Nice looking arrows.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 11:24:20 pm »
Great lookin' arrows Okie.I was thinkin' the same as Pat B,check your game laws before taking the top 2 points in the woods.They would get you a ticket in Texas. I really like cane ,it's so easy to straighten.You can build em so quick,and they fly great!!  God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 12:16:11 am »
Thanks guys. I finally got to shoot the heavier one tonight and it flies great also. So looks like I'll be cutting out some more tomorrow and changing them out :-\. Glad you like 'em.

John
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS